Firesteel prices [ rant]

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have tried several brands and they all work. Some are obviously a lot better than others.
Last week I bought 2 brand new cheap ones from evilbay for £3.88 posted (Yes £1.94 each). I changed the striker and tested one against my more expensive versions.
They work but tend to throw off larger 'lumps' and remind me of sparklers for some reason. You can start a fire with one which is the whole point, so if your on a budget or just want a back up why not........

PREPER......... :)

That's not bad! It was years ago when I remember reading a letter about it and can't say it's at the top of my list to stay uptodate on! :lol:

its the monthly rental on the machine that's the problem lowest i can find is £20/month ish for up to 30 letters a day

plus RM offer a pay on-line (up front for credit) and print off on your printer service they charge £5 a month for it but no discount on the postage :(

i just buy stamps in 20s including large letter its easier to file one receipt than 20 ;) i even pay more i.e a 97p stamp (for foreign letters) for the 96p large letter 100 gm - 250 gm cause its more convenient

i also don't agree with the its packing charge not just postage to justify high PnP if your a mail order company packing is part of the work so should be costed into the products shops don't charge a talking to you about the product fee if you go into the shop to buy but some can help you for hrs. His wages are costed into the annual model and added to the mark up across the product range as an over head same as light and heat rent and rates etc

it does make your products look cheaper to search engines but people will re check once they see an unreasonable PnP to factor in

ATB

Duncan

ps just checked a small jiffyy is 8-10gms
a 9mm ferro is 30gms
so you should just get for 1st class

3 for 66p plus 7p
8 for 96p plus 7p
16 for £1.33 plus 7p
24 for £1.87 plus 7p

or save a bit more and go 2nd class ;)

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Is tempered harder than a knife so sparks flint well to

ATB
Duncan

Tempered...????.....ah well I suppose you don't want bits flaking off and landing in your beer ;)

Mine is definatly just a stricker...oh actually i did use it to remove sticky labels from things...meh it has two use's then

Mojo

Tempered...????.....ah well I suppose you don't want bits flaking off and landing in your beer ;)

Mine is definatly just a stricker...oh actually i did use it to remove sticky labels from things...meh it has two use's then

Mojo

lol yes to 120 150 ish ie no colour but fizzes water of fast ;)

oh and folds into a nice kydex cover on the MK2

Bushkey.jpg

ATB

Duncan

also avalible in Hot pink for lager drinkers :D

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Are you sure they are the Light My Fire one's? I've seen then in my local Sports Soccer for under £5 but they were by Karrimor. No idea on the quality of these.

Last time I looked I think they had 2 of each at the same price, I was surprised they were there. I'll check back in one of these days and grab what I can. I'm still on my original firesteel from a few years back and have started loads of fires with it so haven't been in a rush to get another one. Still prefer a flint and steel personally!

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Sigh.
The old P&P argument.
If you have a load of products of wildly differing size and weight, then to automate a formula to calculate pricing is an absolute nightmare. You would need to factor in volumetric sizing, area codes etc. Customers in Highlands & Islands and Norn Iron will complain that they get charged so much more, people will complain that they don't know the pricing up front. You can't please everyone, you've just got to try and do your best.

A lot of stores like me take the decision to go for a flat charge, this means that sometimes the customer pays more than the cost and sometime less. I doubt very much that in the long term I end 'up' on the deal.
Other stores go 'free' postage but charge a higher price for the product in the first instance, good for the buyer of a single low value item but not so good for a multiple item order or more expensive item. Again sometimes the buyer is the up, sometimes not.

Franking machines are a little cheaper for postage but the hire firm insists you use their ink & labels (it's in the contract and they know how many impression you have made). The end result is it's slightly cheaper but not as much as you might suppose, the biggest gain is the convenience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE