Firepistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I have been looking at getting hold of a fire piston, but being rather short on cash :) I was hoping to try and make one.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience of making fire pistons (or a source for extremely cheap ones :wink:

the only real instructions I've found so far are these:

The Fire Piston

Any comments etc greatly appreciated!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've made a few with some success.... I used bamboo.... double skinned so to speak (thin bamboo epoxied inside a thicker bit) with a wooden plug epoxied into the end to make the cylinder.... and a hardwood dowl for the piston with a wooden cap on the end for the plunger and a small hole for the char cloth to fit in the other end.

You must make sure the bore is dead straight..... use a thin dowl and wet and dry to get it smooth and straight. Make sure your seal is air tight (use a little grease or fat) :)

They are not great, and i can't get them to light first time..... but you just remove the piston quickly to get more oxygen in .... replace it and give it another whack!!! sometimes it takes a couple of goes at this before the char cloth is lit..... but they do work.

:biggthump
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE