Firecord zipper pulls...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Fiddling about with some Firecord (paracord with an extra strand of tinder inside), I was wondering about ways I could carry some of this cord, without creating something extra to what I already carry, and without adding too much bulk to my pack.

Faffing with a zipper pull in the rain with wet hands, I thought there had to be a better solution, and thus two ideas collided.

So with nothing better to do, being kept up with a mix of the flu and insomnia, I thought I'd have a play and see what I could come up with.

paracordfobs01_sm.jpg

I made 2, the larger one is made with approximately 2 x 24" of fire cord, and weighs 10.8g, the smaller one is 8.3g and made with approx 2 x 18" of firecord. I say approximately as whilst I measured them out as 24" and 18" respectively, you end up trimming off ½-1" when you finish and seal the ends. The trimmings provide a useful size bit for practising lighting the lighter core from the cord...

The knot used is a square sinnet. I'll probably put the larger one on my PFD, and the smaller one on my pack.

Thought this may interest/be of use to others, hence sharing.

J

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :)
That's a good one for the survival folks, isn't it ?
I threaded a length into the waistband of a cagoule. Since I don't use that waistband anyway (sits too low on me, I'm only 5'2") the cord that was in it was a waste of space anyway.

M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Are these heavy enough that the wind doesn't flail them around?

I've had a few jackets where the zipper pull extensions raise weals on my face when it was really windy.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are these heavy enough that the wind doesn't flail them around?

I've had a few jackets where the zipper pull extensions raise weals on my face when it was really windy.

I haven't yet had a chance to experiment with them in that regard. Will let you know.

How easy is it to singe the end of the cord without setting the tinder alight?

Fine, just use a normal lighter, and singe as normal. If it catches you can just blow it out. The stuff inside in order to use it you do have to fluff it up with a knife to increase it's surface area to make it catch properly.

How rain proof is the tinder inside? Never tested fire cord.

Fully. You can dump the firecord in the water, leave it there for an hour, take it out, shake the water off, and use it to light a fire.

J

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Is that to firecord gear any good? Its piqued my interest I have to admit. What can I say I'm a bit of a pyro!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Is that to firecord gear any good? Its piqued my interest I have to admit. What can I say I'm a bit of a pyro!

Seems to work ok. You do need to have a knife or something suitable to fluff it up a bit, but it takes a spark from a ferro rod, even after it's been dunked in the river... Not sure if it's something you could use when your fingers are numb with cold, but it certainly works.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE