Fire Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think you've answered your own question there Alessio,
It is worthwhile as a demonstration of what is possible, but in the grand scheme of things, you are unlikely to stumble across suitable bamboo in the UK wilderness - and therefore highly improbable as a "mainstream" bushcraft fire lighitng method.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Tbh, bushcrafting in this country, i only ever come across bamboo in garden centres or on my land (and even then rarely). Ray used this technique in the rainforest because he said it works well in the humidity, so maybe something to keep in mind.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I've never succeeded myself at this technique but had some bamboo with me at some of the Dutch bushcraftweekends a few years ago to try out. About half of the people trying got a coal. Getting smoke is easy, creating an ember is quite hard to do though, a kind of sprinting with the underarm muscles.

I have got an article by the Society of Primitive Technology where they used North American woods instead of bamboo so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it with European wood species as well.

Anyone interested in the article (and some more on the bamboo fire saw) can E-mail me at t.lourensXsanquin.nl (replace the X with @) and I'll mail you the articles.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE