fire piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jake trg

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2005
Lancashire
hello folks can anyone help me with working diagrams of a fire piston eg diamensions and is it posable to make it from aluminium thanks all

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Will the aluminium work? I know it's light, but it sort of wears away a bit fast and it reacts with anything at all acidic.
I've seen so many other folks make them work and I just can't. :confused: :(

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy said:
Will the aluminium work? I know it's light, but it sort of wears away a bit fast and it reacts with anything at all acidic.
I've seen so many other folks make them work and I just can't. :confused: :(

Cheers,
Toddy
I have no double that aluminum will work, although my focus has primarily been on historically correct designs that are true to the original form. This of course limits me to natural materials. In my view, this limitation accounts for a portion of the fire piston's appeal and charm. The ability to make fire in only a few seconds using a device made only from natural materials...etc. If I were to embark on building a fire making device employing the latest technology, it would probably be nuclear.... :) Entire trees could serve as tinder....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE