Fire Maple FMC-207 2 Pan Cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I [thread=127146]reviewed[/thread] the Alpkit Alipots recently, that are made by Fire Maple in China. I mentioned in that thread that having bought the Alipots, I was happier about buying other Fire Maple pots that Alpkit don't sell, direct from china. I also concluded the Alipots are too big for my solo use.

With this in mind, I Forked out £8.99 on a Fire Maple FMC-207 pan set from china. This is a 2 pan set, comprising a main pan of about 800ml in capacity, and a second pan of just under 500ml capacity. The smaller pan can be used as a lid of the larger pan. I ordered the pans on the 10th of December, and forked out an extra £1 on signed for delivery. They arrived in the post on 23rd of December - I've had worse delivery times buying stuff in the UK...

Upon opening the package I found inside a small mesh stuff sack, containing 2 pots, and a small blue scrubbing pad. The mesh stuff sack isn't quite the padded 3d mesh stuff that the Alpkit pots come in, but it's enough to hold the set together.
One of the first things you notice when holding these pots is that they are light. Weights are:

• Whole set - 245g
  • Large pot - 139g
  • Small pot - 89g
  • Mesh bag - 12.5g
  • Scrubbing pad - 5g

The pots are made to the same standard and build quality as the Alpkit pots, complete with the removable folding handles if you want to use the pots with the Alpkit hanging kit over a fire. Usefully, if you own both the Alpkit set and the Fire maple, you can put the big pot from this set inside the small pot from Alpkit's set, and if you use the pan scrubber as a wedge, the pot doesn't rattle around. Alas, not quite enough room for the small pot as well.

Size wise, they are perfect for the sort of cooking I do when light weight hiking, the small pot being pretty much perfect for the contents of one of the look what we found pouches. If you're really hungry, you can fit the contents of two pouches in the big pot. Just what I was after.

All in all, I am happy with this pot set. It's just right for what I need when solo & travelling light. The only improvement I would like to see would be a simple lid, I could use on both pots, rather than having to use one pot as a lid for the other. I may have a play with making something lid like from some aluminium sheet.

At this point I should probably mention something about ordering from China. In my Alipots review I said:

Having seen the quality of these, I don't mind buying fire maple pots direct from china on ebay. I'll be investigating some of the smaller fire maple pots to compliment these pans.

To which I got a reply from a member of Alpkit staff (Demonstrating their great customer service).

I work at Alpkit - so a bit biased, but, specifically your last comment about now buying direct from China - How come?

From looking around the price is only slightly cheaper (I mean, the fire maple stoves, some are more expensive?!?) The delivery time is longer, if the product has any problems there's no returns service/spares/someone on the phone or e-mail to help.

Alpkit itself want to bring the best products to you guys at the best price, we design a lot of our own kit and if we can't due to time / funds we will pick the best out there. Same as many other manufacturers, but the added service and usually better price I thought would be part of it? We obviously don't have the full range of pots from FireMaple available so we understand that, but on the items we do have why would you go direct from China - is it just price?

Hopefully I can understand a bit better and make Alpkit better for you to!

So why did I forgo the "returns service/spares/someone on the phone or e-mail to help", and risk my money on a purchase direct from china? Two simple reasons, Paypal buyer protection, and the more simple fact that Alpkit don't sell the FMC-207 pan set. So Jay, if you're listening and thinking of expanding your range of cookware, had you had this set for 12 quid, I wouldn't even have thought of buying from china and would have bought from you, especially if it came with the lid mentioned above. Hint hint :p

Cheers

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE