Fire lighting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yggdrasil

May 18, 2005
Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
I have been researching and reading the laws of firelighting in places in Britain but i am just wondering to what extent most of you follow the rules. I understand people pitch etc outsite of view where they possibly shouldnt (pitch late, leave early concept) but im not sure about people with fires.
By this i am trying to find out in what places you guys will light small controlled camp fires and in what situations you wouldnt.
Cheers.

Rob

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I've just got a small firebox that I intend to use - put it up on a couple of poles and it shouldnt leave any trace - and keeps the fire small and manigable - enough to boil a billy really.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
below the high tide mark is always a safe place as its 'allowed' but the tide has a nasty habit of, litirally, quashing your flames!

EDIT:though i think there some kind of exception in close proximity to MOD places.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I have been researching and reading the laws of firelighting in places in Britain but i am just wondering to what extent most of you follow the rules.
Not really a question you are likely to get an answer to I'm afraid. We ask all our members to stay within the law, get permission etc..... those that advocate camping up illegaly or starting fires without permission (arson) on the forum will get moderated and a polite pm asking them not to do it again ;) .....

To quote the BCUK Forum Rules
5 Obey The Law:
The United Kingdom has some of the strictest knife and gun and wilderness laws in the world. It is the responsibility of the members to ensure their activity (particularly in the members classifieds section) conforms to all UK laws. This will be enforced rigorously.

Getting access to land is the bane of the bushcraft practitioner... its a hard slog but well worth it in the end .... and you'll meet some interesting characters along the way in the countryside.

There have been a few threads about how to approach land owners, getting public liability insurance just incase you burn their trees down, do a search for it (or does anyone have the link), there is some very useful infomation in there.

Even though many places do not allow fire, many sites allow BBQ style fires..... so fire boxes, kelly kettles and pocket stoves (as well as BBQ's) are ok, as long as they are kept off the ground so as they don't leave a scorch mark.... If no fire is allowed at all then its going to have to be a cooker I'm afraid :(

Be safe and keep it legal
:)
Ed

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
tomtom said:
below the high tide mark is always a safe place as its 'allowed' but the tide has a nasty habit of, litirally, quashing your flames!

EDIT:though i think there some kind of exception in close proximity to MOD places.

Tomtom

Remember it's below the mean high water springs tide mark, and it's not only "allowed" but is actually a right, certainly in scotland. The mean high water springs means that if you're just below it then the tide will only get that high a couple of times a month, and even then only for a few hours a day. check your tide times here. http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/easytide/EasyTide/index.aspx

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE