Fire Drill and Pump

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Has anyone tryed making one of these? One is illistrated in Ray Mears book, Bushcraft. I made one today out of 2 pieces of willow and a 1 1/2' piece of natural cordage. It consists of one piece a foot long smoothed stick 1/2 " diameter for the drill, a squared flat piece 6" by 2/3" by 2" with a hole for the sliding bit and a 1' by 2" by 2" squared up piece for the 'fly wheel'. Both the sliding piece and 'fly wheel' have holes through the middle and the former has a small hole on either end. Through these 2, goes a piece of cordage with then threads through a hole at the top of the shaft. All this was done using a Mora Clipper and the small holes were done using one blade of some thin scissors. I know this is a terrible discription. Here is a diagram that helps a bit. The disk that they use is, on mine a foot long piece of timber. It is difficult to make using primative tools (NO DRILLS!), but satisfying. I will try and take some pics if you're interested.

Give it a go.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'll have to try that one ... always struck me as looking like an effective bit of kit.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Right, I'll take some pictures tommorow. I haven't made fire with it yet, as I've just been practicing inside because of illness. I'll probably try at the weekend sometime, when I clear up a bit.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
thats a working bit of kit. one of my siblings had a spinning top made on that design and went really well once you got the pumping technique sussed. :p

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've made them and they are very cool. If you want to make one that drills like mad, use a push drill bit. They are very effective with the kind of back and forth motion you get with these.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE