fire by friction in a slightly different way

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hey Col are you looking for ways to exersise that knee ?

could be a bit of a dodgy position if that suddenly burst into flames .

Craig..........

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Well i found it because i cant kneel on the knee yet.

Just had a go at it and it aint as easy as it looks, i will have to watch it again to have another look at how they do it, maintaining tension on the paracord seems to be the hard thing, i used 2 clove hitches over my feet.

Just hope the wife doesnt come into my shed just now and finds me sat on the floor with a piece of paracord between my legs and leaning over a thick straight shaft of wood.....

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I really like that, nice idea yet it looks less than dignified. :lol:

Less dignified but more fun, im enjoying myself, this is way more fun than the traditional way.

Secret to maintaining tension on the cord is to start of slowly and keep your legs apart under tension.

I know what i will be doing at the loch doon meet on friday...:campfire:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Less dignified but more fun, im enjoying myself, this is way more fun than the traditional way.

Secret to maintaining tension on the cord is to start of slowly and keep your legs apart under tension.

I know what i will be doing at the loch doon meet on friday...:campfire:

Cant wait to see that ! you will look like a dying fly !!!!!

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Doesnt seem the sort of thing i'd like to be doing on a wet muddy woodland floor, with my boots and leggings on. But hey, if it works, it works!

I think what they were going for is the fact that it can still be done if one of your arms are hurt and its also just a bit of fun, beats watching Jeremy Kyle, and im all for people who think for themselves and come up with new ideas

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Just hope the wife doesnt come into my shed just now and finds me sat on the floor with a piece of paracord between my legs and leaning over a thick straight shaft of wood.....

I'm sure she's seen a lot worse going on in that shed!!

On a more serious note though this does actually look easier and the fact that you don't have to find/make a bow either makes it easier to make, but Jason's right you will look like a dying fly! :D

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Ashley, We couldnt do it with our arms anyway! We'll have to give both methods a go sometime. It'll give the old equation "Lighter+Pile of wood+Crusader Fuel=Fire", equation a rest. :)

Well it works.. Half the time anyway! I agree, its definitely worth a punt! Failing that, there is always your "Quick Fire" solution (you know which one I mean!)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
One plus side about this method is that you have one hand free to hold your can of beer !

Craig............

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Are there any specific woods to use when creating fire by friction? Does it need to be dry or can still green wood work?

Thanks lads.

Your drill and hearth board need to be dry dead wood, not to hard not to soft, ideally you can press your nail into it. The bearing block (bit that you hold in your hand) should be green wood, so that the friction from the top of the drill is less at the top, bow slight bend, i use green wood about length from your fingers to your armpit.

Your best bet is doing a search for what woods can be used, ive had success in getting an ember with hazel, sycamore and birch but i know there are a lot more woods that will work...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE