Fire Bow Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I wish to propose a friendly competition - all in good fun of course and in the interest of expanded bushcraft skills.

Tone - I hope there is nothing objectionable in this.

I will grant a new $100 custom fire piston to the fire maker who can product a coal in the fewest number of bow strokes ( forward and back counts as two strokes ) and who can provide video evidence of same, by say.... the end of January.

Any takers?

Oh....one more thing. If I can better the time ( not to worry, I am a Grandpa after all ) the winner sends me some English spindle and hearth wood. :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Jeff Wagner said:
Well...I was assuming this would be an individual effort and the bow would be powered by arm strength alone. Other than that, I cant think of any.
Does it matter if you don’t start from cold (i.e. kit been used in the last few minutes) would having a nicely warmed just used kit make a difference.
Indoors or outdoors?
Kneeling or standing. again does it make any difference?
Having a freshly made kit (unused) would put you at a disadvantage over someone who has a tried and tested kit?

Not that I will enter as I’ve never tried it, (the only opportunity I ever had to learn was wasted as the course I went on in the summer had only one bow for 17 people to try and after about an hour we moved on to a new skill.
I’m just curious )

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I mean, if one uses True Tinder Fungus it will probably be an advantage over someone with less suitable (or obtainable) materials.

Should the bow be freshly made (as mentioned above) or is a tried and tested bow acceptable?

Should the bearing be made from natural material or can one use a carved stone, metal or glass bearing?

Sorry to be a pain but I can think of quite a few things that might escape the complete novice.

Actually, tinder fungus does not does not seem to form a friction coal as fast as ordinary wood, so there is no regional advantage there. As far as the other considerations, I would certainly be using a proven set, a burned-in hole and a good bearing block.

The challenge is - how fast can you make a coal by primitive bow drill ...no holds barred.

Hopefully the results may provide useful information concerning wood types, optimum spindle diameter, etc, etc.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Can't resist a challenge. Tried with elder on sycamore and was getting results in about 8 - 12 passes. Might be better dry! I will also give hazel and ivy a go as it has a good reputation. The video depends on the post office delivering a part for my camera and working out where I can post the video.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm up for the challenge if only I can find out how on earth I post a video clip somewhere. (getting photos onto the web is hard enough for me to cope with most days :eek: )

Win or lose, I'll happily send you some good English woods to play with Jeff. If you'd like them prior to the end of this little competiton, let me have your address via PM and I'll see what I can get into the post for you fella.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I struggle with the same type of problem.

Getting a friction fire going is one thing, but getting video data on a computer is quite an other.

The other thing is. that theoretically if the bow is long enough.... you should be able to get a coal in half a go :lmao:. I think it then should take two people in stead of one.

I've been clocked twenty passes on a hickory drill (I think...) on pine hearth once.

hmmm it sure is a challenge....

It's an other thing getting some english woods in the Netherlands :D

Bob

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Jeff Wagner said:
Well done Bob.

Het Nederlandse hout is een goed Engels. :)

Thanks Jeff,

I hardly think this efford is even close to winning this competition, although I beat my own record quite considerably.

You do much better writing Dutch :) than I do making embers.

I'm well impressed!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
My original post said:-

<<I have an avi video now. But it is 73 megabytes for about a minute of video. Can I reduce this somehow?>>

I have now reduced it to an 11 megabyte MPEG using a free downloaded program "Fx MPEG writer from http://www.fxmpegwriter.com/ and this seems to be uploading to photobucket. So hopefully you can see it soon.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
BobFromHolland said:
Thanks Jeff,

I hardly think this efford is even close to winning this competition, although I beat my own record quite considerably.

You do much better writing Dutch :) than I do making embers.

I'm well impressed!

like I said: 15 strokes is hardly better than 4 !!

:notworthy respect, Richard!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE