Finishing a plait?

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Hi folks, hoping you can help.

Well, I've been making some useful items like dog leads and slingshots by plaiting cordage and have just finished a lead for the inlaws dog using a four strand flat plait, instructions from Mr Mears book.

Anyway the plait looks good BUT unlike when I plait my little ones hair, I can't just bang a bobble on the end, and so far my efforts seem to ruin the look.

So how do you finish a plait?!

Thanks all

Drew

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Knotting the free ends looks unsightly for me, though it undoubtably works.
For decorative finishes, you can place a bobbin or toggle over the area and you are then free to glue or tie off in any way that works. You could whip finish using a contrasting colour cord or if you really want to show off, cover the area with a monkey's fist or turk's head knot, there are bound to be tutorials around the web somewhere.

ATB

Ogri the trog

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
You could try using the method common for attaching the fall section of a bull whip.
Make a hitch around the bulk, and then feed it downwards through itself to the end, keep them loose until all but the last hitch, take the end of this one up through the hitch loops, then tighten everything up.
It's not smooth but it holds very securely without adding too much bulk.

Or a much bulkier end knot, for example a wall and crown knot in it's many varieties.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Here's a couple of pics of how I finish my dog leads

4 cord
DSCF2636.jpg

3 cord
DSCF2810.jpg

Another way is to run back over the 4 cords with a 2 cord+2 cord snake knot which looks nice and neat, here's an example on a neck lanyard I made..
DSCF2552.jpg

Hope that helps.

Edit - you might find this of some use too, dog lead guide

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE