Finishes for the flesh side of leather belts

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
With reference to the thread Thoughts on Fiebings Leather dyes, I'm getting varying thoughts on what to use for finishing the flesh side of a leather belt.

If it's a brown belt for yourself, an unfinished inside isn't a great problem but if, for example, you're making a black belt for someone else, they are not going to to expect a pinky coloured inside to the belt, and indeed would IMHO expect a black inside.

Some have said that the Fiebings Professional dyes are less likely to bleed colour than the standard leather dyes, others have said that Resolene should seal the dye, whilst others have said that you can still get some colour bleed through Resolene. Others have said that they never dye the inside of a belt.

So I was wondering what people would suggest for treating the inner side of leather belts, given that an unfinished inside isn't acceptable for some projects.

Thanks

Geoff

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have not yet had any bleed of colour from a black belt stained with iron oxide and vinegar.

you wouldn't John as it is not a stain per-se it is a chemical reaction that actually changes the leather ;)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I have dyes all my belt with Feibing's pro dye and never had any problem with bleeding. Just burnish the leather after dying with a piece of cloth. Rub until no dye comes off on the cloth.

singteck

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
you wouldn't John as it is not a stain per-se it is a chemical reaction that actually changes the leather ;)

And it is cheaper than the chips I would had otherwise put the vinegar on - superior to any black dye!
Weak versions (without much iron in the mix) turn the leather "dark" which combined with brown polish on the outside (but not the inside) give you a bleed free brown belt. Controlled dosages can be made by using Iron tablets from a chemist instead of rust in the vinegar. Test the depth of colour by painting offcuts - results vary between leathers.
Remember to neutralise the vinegar (acid) with bicarbonate of soda(alkali - from supermarket baking sections) or the leather will prematurely age....wipe the finished article down with a strong bicarb solution...when the fizzing stops the reaction is complete and the leather is Ph neutral.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Cheers Hamish. I didnt know how to burnish the edges properly, so before I dyed the mask, I rubbed all the edges down with 1200 wet and dry. After the dye had dried I polished the whole thing with brown shoe polished, then spent half an hour rubbing the sides and edges with a shoe brush. I dont suppose its the correct way to do it, but it seemed to work.
ATB.

Oh same with the belt.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i can do edges just fine but its the flesh that i have trouble with i either plaster it in edge kote which isnt great as it cracks or i just leave it was wondering if anyone could help me on good ways to burnish the flesh may try shoe polish as you said

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The only time I've seriously done anything with the flesh side is the inside of the belt loop on sheaths
I just use the gum and flatten it done just like the edge.
If you were to dye and then gum it it shouldn't leak too much I wouldn't have thought
What methods have you tried on scrap bits of leather?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i have used edge kote on the flesh but its not the best. when i try and burnish the flesh with canvas it always ends up pretty rough and horrid and doesnt smoothen down maybe i need something better to burnish/flatten it. i think i read somewhere about using a rolling pin? anyone tried that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE