finished kuksa

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
well is finished! its not as good as i had hoped mind you it was far harder than i had anticipated,next time ille use green wood and not seasoned!!
i sealed the outside with wax and the inside with a mix of cooking oil and salt.
Theres more to a project than asthetics ,ive learned a lot from the whole thing,there are many flaws and i shall bear them in mind on the next kuksa! , heres some pics:

DSC01800.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

thanks for looking.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
That looks good that, I have only done a very small spoon. So I can appreciate the effort and wood removal. It is very impressive.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
That looks fantastic.
A kuksa is my next winter project ('spose I'd better by one of those spoon knives first. Or I could make one like fishfish did).

Although not entirely relevant, I have been working on my first knife the last couple of days. Fitted the scales today and when I get home from work tomorrow I'm out with the Dremel to shape and smooth the handle. Then some linseed oil to polish it off and then I'll post some piccies by the end of the week.
As fishfish said, you learn an awful lot by doing these kinds of things. My thumbs are already red raw, so I'll let them recover before embarking upon another thumb-intensive endeavour.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Well done! For your next one as well as working it green, try to find yourself a piece of silver birch, alder or willow. You'll not believe how much easier it is :D
Nicola

i suppose birch would be the traditional wood , ive not carved them before.i carve from ash as thats what i carve my fising lures from.ille be looking out for birch when i take the dog ot today!

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Well done! For your next one as well as working it green, try to find yourself a piece of silver birch, alder or willow. You'll not believe how much easier it is :D
Nicola
Willow:eek: ?I tryed one time make a spoon out of willow and it ended up as a piece of fuzzy tinder:dunno: .Great work Fishfish!,I like your work mate you have a good eye and steady hands when it comes to craft stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE