Finding bushcraft land?

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Hi folks
Just arfter a few tips really. Planning to do a bushcraft team leaders course starting spring next year. I have a solid background
in survival / bushcraft and as only a few years away from 40 i figure its now or never (having been made redundant from a job in the city)
this will be a big change and risk but its one im prepared to make. anyway ill try to cut to the chase. I was packing survival kits
into baccy tins from the age of 7 and spent every spare moment reading books and putting any bit of knowledge i picked up
to good use building camps, making fires and trapping ect,spent some years in my teens as a gamekeepers mate and in my late 20,s
worked in SE Asia on a wildlife rescue centre where myself and a dutch lad topped up our meager wages by taking westerners into
the national parks for trekking, overnighters and basic jungle craft training.
Its been a will and as i dont want to flunk the interview i need to be totaly up to speed, so i need to spend the autumn and winter
out in the feild as much as possible, ther lays the problem.How do i go about gaining permission to bivvy up on private land, and convincing
land owners that im not just some random hobo, im not there to course any damage or poach and ill leave without any evidence ive been there.
Any help would be great, letter suggestions ect.
cheers guys

Last edited:
Hi folks
Just arfter a few tips really. Planning to do a bushcraft team leaders course starting spring next year. I have a solid background
in survival / bushcraft and as only a few years away from 40 i figure its now or never (having been made redundant from a job in the city)
this will be a big change and risk but its one im prepared to make. anyway ill try to cut to the chase. I was packing survival kits
into baccy tins from the age of 7 and spent every spare moment reading books and putting any bit of knowledge i picked up
to good use building camps, making fires and trapping ect,spent some years in my teens as a gamekeepers mate and in my late 20,s
worked in SE Asia on a wildlife rescue centre where myself and a dutch lad topped up our meager wages by taking westerners into
the national parks for trekking, overnighters and basic jungle craft training.
Its been a will and as i dont want to flunk the interview i need to be totaly up to speed, so i need to spend the autumn and winter
out in the feild as much as possible, ther lays the problem.How do i go about gaining permission to bivvy up on private land, and convincing
land owners that im not just some random hobo, im not there to course any damage or poach and ill leave without any evidence ive been there.
Any help would be great, letter suggestions ect.
cheers guys

A move to Scotland possible? Access laws here make what you are proposing to do perfectly viable.

Windy

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Filterhoose--Oh i wish, there is some amazing terrain up there, but i have to make do with the very occasional weeks holiday
to Aviemore where if im in the good books i can escape for 24hrs. I fear "she who must be obeyed" has been pushed
to the limit with this planned career change, a move to the highlands might tip the poor mare over the edge :)

Kepis--oh good stuff, have you got any leads i could try in as far as the original question (tho dont want step on your toes)
i think our biggest land owner round here is Clem Sommerset but i imagine he would be pretty hard to get hold of let alone
a reply.
p.s just had a look at your blog and had a nose around. some of that wood work is great!

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis--oh good stuff, have you got any leads i could try in as far as the original question (tho dont want step on your toes)
i think our biggest land owner round here is Clem Sommerset but i imagine he would be pretty hard to get hold of let alone
a reply.
p.s just had a look at your blog and had a nose around. some of that wood work is great!

It's very difficult to get permissions round these parts im afraid, im lucky as i have a couple, i also have access to some private woodland through work, even though i work in those woods every year and have a great rapport with the landowners, whenever i broach the subject of staying overnight, the answer is NO, the permissions i have took me years to get, the biggest issue is trust, you have to build that trust level up with the landowner before broaching the subject with them and even then, some, not all landowners, just dont want people staying on their land.

Thanks for the comments on my blog, i does my best:)

Gunner068

Dec 28, 2012
West Sussex
Hi folks sorry to hijack this thread, I'm also from Worthing and looking for somewhere to do some bushcraft. I read someone mentioned clem Somerset, he owns a lot of land but I doubt if he would let people onto his land as I remember him chasing me in his tractor as a child!! I also go shooting with a friend who knows clem and he won't let him shoot on his land :-(
It's a shame as titnor woods would be great but I think they are owned by mr Somerset.
I know it's not exactly legal but southdowns?? I camped up there before in a tent but never bivi'd up there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE