finally finished it!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
So, here's the spoon I was filming Robin making last week and putting clips on YouTube...
IMG_2180e.jpg

For the first time ever I stepped the other side of the video camera and Robin filmed me doing the finishing. That in it's own right was ok, but having to sit and watch myself over and over whilst editing was rather painful :( Anyway, here's the result. Enjoy!

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
I really enjoyed that spoon-making saga, nice to see the final vid. I think I need to try more at finishing without sandpaper, I've done it once and it was ok but it was marred by the fact that the wood was very pithy.

EDIT: Great spoon by the way!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I was interested to see how long it took - probably about an hour. Robin was very quick - about 10 minutes for each of his stages; axe, straight knife, curved knife - even in front of the camera. I was rather slower - total 40 minutes - although I reckon I'd have been faster if it hadn't been for interruptions by the dog, my son, the phone etc. I'm glad I don't have to sell them to make a living!

I haven't got an axe at all at the moment. When my wallet has recovered, i will definitely buy an axe. Probably a gransfors bruks, cause i've handled one of those and like the feel.

I see your cat was supervising from the warmth of the top of the fishtank.. That's how it should be, obviously.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
That came out rather well! I really like your delicate carved finish. Will have to try that on my spoons. I usually finish with a hand scraper. Sometimes have to grind one to shape to get the inside curves right. I have always tried to get a very smooth surface, I don't think the Americans are ready for a totally hand carved eating utensil. So used to metal and plastic you know. The scraper gives a smooth surface without losing all detail, but I can see where a finer, sharper detail makes a very nice finish.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Thank you so much for making those vids. It's always good to see other people's techniques. Can I ask what video editing software you favour Nicola? You have a lovely speaking voice, and look gorgeous as well.

Eric

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
As it's what I do for a living I use Final Cut Pro which is a professional application only available for mac. If you use a mac and want to move on from iMovie (which is fantastic as far as it goes) I would highly recommend Final Cut Express. It's a cut down version but retains everything most people would want. (Thanks for the compliments :eek: )

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I realy enjoyed all the vids. Although I have carved many a spoon ,spork, spatula, etc I have never got such good looking results - and have always scraped/sanded to a final finish.
Mind you all my carving seems to have been on well seasoned wood and I imagine these techniques aint so good on green wood.
Seeing your (plural) methods I am tempted to have a go at getting some nice green wood an making a spoontula....
I might wait for spring, cut some willow , make cord and sheet bark pots from the bark and the spoontula from the wood, no waste involved!
It is refreshing to see indoor carving and someone other than a gravel voiced, bearded bloke doing the carving bit - breaking down all the stereotypes!
:notworthy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
That spatula/spoon looks lovely, I didn't realise it was you doing the vids, about once a week I have a browse through youtube looking for bushcraft vids and came across yours. It's a very in depth and interesting series, thank you for putting it up there for everyone to see. I'm going to try to do some larger pieces. Just a quick question, what knife were you using for the final tidying up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE