Film - Powerless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is a film that is not out yet but they have a website up http://www.new-light.co.uk/powerless/powerless.htm
The reason I am mentioning this is that bcuk was approached for some advice about the effects that having no power, fuel, gas etc would have on a group of young people stuck in a cottage in the middle of Wales for a year. :yikes: Which is partly what the film is about.

It was interesting to think about, as we are so reliant on modern facilities. What would we do if we were stuck in the middle of nowhere with no power etc. What would be our priorities and how would we go about looking after ourselves for a year?

What think you?

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
It depends on their level of knowleadge

if they have no knowledge of living without power gas etc i should think it would be very hard at first and a steep learning curve

once they had learnt (or if they already had some knowleadge) it wouldnt really much of a problem

i have lived with familys in africa who have no power and the only noticable difference was not having electric lighting! work etc had to stop when it got dark

everything else was pretty much the same but then these people had always lived this way and had no problem starting fires to cook and heat water or finding/catching food

Far more difficult is not having a ready supply of water, now that really does make a differance!

you are right though Tony we are very dependent on the electricity/Gas that we take for granted in this country

This becomes Strikingly apparent when you travel to less wealthy parts of the world where the locals get by perfectly well without

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
We all lazily struggle along in our everyday lives, not thinking of how easy we have it on the creature comforts side.

I always notice this most when I have just come back from a week in the woods. I have had to put energy in to everything for a week, walked 200 yds for a dump, had to go and fill my water bottle, chopped stuff, burned stuff etc., and then i get home and cant be arsed to go and get something i need - because it is "UPSTAIRS". :-x

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i was just wondering if they were cutting out wood as a fule, it will be very difficult to be warm if they are not allowed to combust fule to relase energy in to forms of light and heat! as well as making coocking pretty impossible!

Mar 2, 2004
wont be much bushcraft im guessing but i will watch this programme on bbc1 called IF . apparently it going to be about a power shortage and what would happen... id just go into the forest and get lost. great!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
We live in such a push button, turn tap, flick a switch world nowadays that most of the technology behind what is actually going on may as well be magic as far as most people are concerned.

Have you watch people trying to light a BBQ? It's hilarious (as long as they aren't using petrol or something ... :bu: ). A couple of years ago I watch a guy trying to light a disposable BBQ with a fire steel ... one thing I'll say is that he was determined and went for at least half an hour before giving up!

For some people (the folks here!!!), living the bushcraft life is a way of live, but I fear that for most people it's nothing more than a curiosity ... like visiting a working farm or museum :cry:

Technology is nothing more than an aid ... the levels to which we in the west rely on it are absolutely frightening.

Tony said:
It was interesting to think about, as we are so reliant on modern facilities. What would we do if we were stuck in the middle of nowhere with no power etc.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think the best thing is that when a film company wanted advice they came to BCUK. We can all be proud of that especially you Tone it shows that what you created is now regarded as an authority on things like this. You can't buy that.:biggthump

Bill

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tenbears10 said:
I think the best thing is that when a film company wanted advice they came to BCUK. We can all be proud of that especially you Tone it shows that what you created is now regarded as an authority on things like this. You can't buy that.:biggthump

Bill

Hear hear !! :super: :You_Rock_

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Will BCUK be receiving credit during the film for their input?

Priorities wouldn't vary much from what they are while in the bush.

Clean water, adequate shelter (including clothing), available fuel, fire making abilities, adequate food, medical supplies and the ability to renew and maintain all of them.

A complete loss of energy would be devastating and the available natural resources of fuel would quickly be used up. Not much chance of survival for an ill equipped population under those circumstances.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
In the 90’s a town in Bosnia called Gorazde, a Muslim enclave surrounded and under siege from the Serbs lived much like you are on about. A town which had electricity running, water and regular food to nothing. Wood was the only fuel available.

It’s not just in the movies it does happen.

One example of the things some did. Washing machines being no use now for washing now were mounted on floating platforms.The drum was fitted with paddles and positioned in the river. It would generate enough electricity to light a torch battery some way up the hill. These were the lucky ones most had nothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE