Filbe assault pack (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
JThe FILBE/USMC Assault pack

Ladies and Gentlemen from a complete gear ‘hoor’ I give you a review of the FILBE/USMC assault pack (made by eagle industries) very similar to the Camelbak Motherlode. The pack forms part of of the FILBE equipment the remainder parts are the Main pack, hydration pack (camelbak ambush or very similar to at least made by eagle industries), Camelbak mil-spec Andidote 3L bladder, 1 assault pouch, 2 hydration pouches and 2 sustainment pouches. I’m only dealing with the assault pack in this review but hope to write up the other parts after using them.

IMG_2438.jpg IMG_2439.jpg

I’ve had this for about 2 – 3 weeks and used it only for short walks of up to 2 hrs/5 – 6 miles on varied paths, up and down hills. This is it rigged for use with a hydration pouch right hand side and assault pouch top front.
The pack is 500denier as far as I can make out but is well made, certainly I haven’t had any burst stitches or stitching failings as others have reported.

The reported size was 1525 cu in/25 L main bag and 300 cu in/5 L front pouch(lower) but I feel it is much larger. When I’d researched the kit I perceived the Assault pack to be comparable to the old syle Camelbak HAWG but its more comparable to the Motherlode. The Assault pack weighs 1.77kg (my weighing), assault pouch 0.17kg, hydration pouch 0.17kg. I easily placed all the stuff I had in my Munro with space to spare.

The main pack is accessed via a double sided zip. The zips are quite substantial and I think are YKK. For some reason the zip on the right of the bag only’s goes down a third of the length of the pack whilst on the left goes down two thirds.

IMG_2453.jpg

Inside the bag at the back is a pouch for a radio this does not go all the way to the bottom of the pack. To aid this and to aid a hydration bladder in the main bag there are 2 egress points either side of the handle.

IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2446.jpg

Further stowages inside the bag are a net zipped pouch at the front of the bag and one to the right of the bag about the size of a flask, I tried to fit my Camelbak 3L bladder into it but it didn’t sit right.

IMG_2448.jpg

The assault pouch which sits on the front of the bag above the main pouch is useful for chocolate, notebook or other small objects which fit in nicely. I understand it’s the same as the Blackhawk strike pouch. This is fitted on by MOLLE tabs at the rear so it is easily removed.

IMG_2454.jpg

The lower pouch seems somewhat larger than the 5L I’ve found it cited as in websites on line. Indeed one document had it at 13L but another dated later had it as 5L. On the front is a series of MOLLE loops and a Velcro strip. Inside is another zipped net pouch to help organize the interior.

IMG_2455.jpg

The structure of the pack is maintained by a single 3 – 5 mm plastic board which can be accessed by a zip in the main pack. There is nothing subtle in this, I may look for a additional pad just to add to the padding on the back.

IMG_2450.jpg

The back when I first put it on was uncomfortable in the small of my back but this was quickly eased. This may be down to the expectations for the pack to be worn over the top of armour vests. The waist belt is satisfactory but has no padding, I wouldn’t mind correcting this I thought of using a ‘battle belt’(a padded belt which a normal belt fits over) but would need some exact measurements for it to fit and work. The shoulder straps are comfortable but I find the chest strap fits a little high towards the neck but it is nothing too bad.

IMG_2449.jpg

When in use with the full FILBE equipment the assault pack can be clipped on to the top of the main pack in order to facilitate this the straps can be placed behind the padded back.

IMG_2451.jpg

The hydration pouch is for the camelbak Antidote bladder but the normal longer bladder will fit in up to a point.

IMG_2456.jpg

Antidote to the left and normal bladder to the right.

IMG_2457.jpg
Overall the bag is roomy and comfortable, I really quite like it. A days kit can easily be carried, any excess room can be taken up with the side compression straps. Theres plenty of MOLLE if you want to expand to the sides front and on the bottom.

I’d tried a Camelbak Motherlode previously but never got on with it. It was an older style with the main exterior pouch higher up in the pack it seemed to sit so far off the body and away from the back. I’ll update this review as I continue to use it.

I’ve been trying many different bags this last 18 months and dread to think of what I’ve paid in comparison to what I passed them on for. This purchase met the requirement for a new daysack and main bag with added pouches and hydration pack. It was costly at £320 but that included shipping from the states and customs charges. That considered if we accept that the assault pack and hydration pack are comparable to their Camelbak counterparts they total, Ambush £73(incl postage from the states but not duty), Motherlode £107 leaving £140 for the main pack. Thats not too bad in my book and as I’d had quite a clear out prior to buying it didn’t actually cost me any capital expense.

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've been using this bag for about 6 months and thought I'd update my review a little. I still love the pack and I've used it for day hikes, travel and urban walkabouts. It's very comfortable over the day with varied loads. I've kept a FILBE hydration pouch on one side and my first aid pouch on the other. After a previous mishap I wanted the first aid easily accessible without bleeding over everything. Most of the zip pulls have been changed to be bright and they have luminescent ends on them. The greatest change has been to pad the waist belt. I used a 'battle belt' to pad it, this allowed me to slip the waistbelt through it and clip it to the rear of the pouch using a couple of grimlocs attached to the MOLLE on the battle belt. You lose about 2'' of the waistbelt when fitted but it is more comfortable. I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it.
IMG_1041.jpgIMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1043.jpgIMG_1044.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I'd recommend it, I did think myself of doing it with the predator when I had one. I was lucky with the way the bag is made that I had 2 hooks on the bag that I could put the grimlocs through. This means that it's taking some of the weight and not hanging uselessly down at the back. Shop around as well some of the prices vary greatly, the one I have is a Templar Assault system, seems fine for what I want it for.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE