Fifty shades of veg tanned leather.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I wonder if we are not all closet leather fetishists. I have recently started making a few things out of leather again after decades of neglect since the local leather craft store closed. Though I do indeed drool over the work of some of the very skilled artists here, I have to say my efforts are more pragmatic than beautiful. Since I no longer have a reliable sewing machine, and my hand stitching leaves a lot to be desired I have to say I resort to rivets, screws and PVA glue if that achieves the end.

I like the combination of leather and brass D rings, buckles etc. I am also not averse to modifying ready mades, for instance I have adapted ammunition pouches for a mobile phone and a possibles pouch.

There you go, mobile phone and bushcraft, not the same thing at all is it? I think I am very much putting new wine into old bottles, particularly my water carrier that hides a plastic water bladder in a traditional looking leather outer.

The bushcraft carry belt I have recently made is somewhat unusual and I suppose untraditional in that it fastens at the front with a couple of press studs (brass finish of course) with the adjustment by buckle at the side. It is a variation on the theme of a Sam Browne belt with the aforementioned phone pouch attached to the shoulder strap. Anyway it is something to do while I wait for the better weather to get out and about again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE