Fieldcrafter uk review

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I recently had the good fortune to meet Matt & purchased one of his knives, so thought i'd share a few thoughts & photos of the day out i spent using it for the first time.
It takes about 30 minutes to walk to the wood, but i've not been there for a while, as you can by the fact that the entrance or hole in the hedge has grown over, i had to use the knife to cut my way in so to speak. The weight of the knife makes you(well me anyway) want to chop with it, & i found that using a flicking action allowed it to work as a machete, which easily dealt with the light brush.
IMG_0170_zpsa070e862.jpg

A couple of camp shots, i've not been here since may, but things have'nt changed much.
IMG_0171_zps29791c9a.jpg
IMG_0172_zpsfb857ed8.jpg
IMG_0173_zps98031c58.jpg
IMG_0174_zpsa61e974a.jpg

These are a full size knife, with a "man size" handle in length, but not being to thick around to be able to grip it properly.
IMG_0176_zps693be094.jpg
IMG_0177_zpsc3661f7c.jpg

They are made to baton & work hard, & it made short work of these pine logs, even the knotty one, yet easily remained sharpe enough to make a variety of shavings.
IMG_0179_zpsfb1a6640.jpg
IMG_0180_zpsa3fcbc2c.jpg
IMG_0181_zps6dfc7b84.jpg
IMG_0182_zpsd5b66f05.jpg

I'm no "Kepis" when it comes to carving, but found the tines on the "tactical olive fork" easy carve, something i thought might be difficult with the thickness of the blade, but proved not to be so.
IMG_0184_zpse2d370aa.jpg

Just a day out using the knife, which performed well, & other than spending my money on loose women & alcohol....
IMG_0183_zpsca320c6d.jpg

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hmm. looks like some of the photos have'nt taken, sorry about that John, however in my defence, it is my first attempt only being partialy supervised in posting pics.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Pete no problem. I understand Joh also has one to review, so expect a more proffesional & comprehensive review, live up to that John !

If i can tell you anymore please pm me.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi Pete no problem. I understand Joh also has one to review, so expect a more proffesional & comprehensive review, live up to that John !

If i can tell you anymore please pm me.

Rob

Darn it - I wish I could re-write it now ... but it is with Tony already.
It will be posted when Tony has time :)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Looks great. Nice to see along handle on it too:)

How do you feel about the grind? It's a sabre as I remember and personally I've only used scandi and convex blades.

Thanks for posting that

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
I have a blank from Matt which he sent me last week I'm in the middle of completing it .
Awesome blades and a top bloke who makes them.pics of the completed blade to follow shortly in the DIY section.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Looks great. Nice to see along handle on it too:)

How do you feel about the grind? It's a sabre as I remember and personally I've only used scandi and convex blades.

Thanks for posting that

I've never heard of a sabre grind before, what is it, slightly concave or something?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
It's basically a scandi with a second bevel that is more significant than a microbevel but still very small.

What he said :)

Sabre is generally a flat bevel from the centre line of the blade tho with the secondary bevel. Scandi is not necasserily to the centre line dependand on angles.
However he has taken the sabre a little higher on these I guess due to the blade thickness.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
What he said :)

Sabre is generally a flat bevel from the centre line of the blade tho with the secondary bevel. Scandi is not necasserily to the centre line dependand on angles.
However he has taken the sabre a little higher on these I guess due to the blade thickness.

Good description, thank you.

I also have an identical blade albeit way smaller by a different maker & that is indeed a good carver.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE