Fiebings oil dyes - pointers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Now then, leatherworkers.

Just a quick question regarding anyone who uses the Fiebings professional oil dyes. I've got 3; saddle tan, light brown and dark brown. I think they're all really quite dark, anyone else think this way?

I know there are a lot of variables in getting the colour but the difference between the light and dark is marginal. Can someone offer any advice? My steps normally involve two passes with a loaded wool swab (I let the wool soak it up, I don't drown the thing in there), then apply horizontally then vertically.

I don't always remember to rub off the excess straight after application, perhaps that's it?

If you look at this posted by Ian (of Leodis Leather) it gives you a good idea of the tones. I know it's a photo and I'm looking at it on a screen but my light brown looks more like dark brown, my dark brown is closer to chocolate and my saddle tan looks like mahogany.

https://twitter.com/#!/ianatkinsonnet/status/110445807358058496/photo/1/large

It's bugging me because I don't feel I've got the tone range I was expecting, they're all very similar

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE