Feeding the birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Did you know that feeding birds via wire feeders is not actually helping the majority of certain species, I have studdied this for many years now, I may not be a scientist but I have done number counts for over twenty years now and it does work.

We have noticed that the birds that come to the feeders are mostly the same birds, and are dominant over the weaker smaller species and the weaker birds are not able to get at the nuts as to make it count, this is why I loose feed, by crushing up the nuts and spreading them on the roof of my garden workshop and on the ground, this way a wider number/species can get a greater share of the bounty and more will survive.

So do you want to look at them longer or help them, its more expensive to loose feed but better for the majority.

Davy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think this is relative; in my area loose feeding just attracts the pigeons aka the flying rats as well as the real ones :(

I have two feeding stations instead where there are hanging feeders and fat balls as well as net trays for loose stuff and covered trays for the insect/fat crumbs.
I find that the variety of birds that visit the gardens cover the entire range from wrens and robins, to all of the sparrows, tits and finches as well as the ground feeders like blackbirds and thrushes (who seem to manage the trays very well ).
That said, I'm in a very good spot for birds, next to trees and the burn, and that makes a lot of difference to the variety. I occasionally get a duck in the pond :eek:

In any case the RSPB advises feeding them, so the more who do so, the better. Vexes the farmers a bit though when town speughs attack their fields :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Did you know that feeding birds via wire feeders is not actually helping the majority of certain species, I have studdied this for many years now, I may not be a scientist but I have done number counts for over twenty years now and it does work.

We have noticed that the birds that come to the feeders are mostly the same birds, and are dominant over the weaker smaller species and the weaker birds are not able to get at the nuts as to make it count, this is why I loose feed, by crushing up the nuts and spreading them on the roof of my garden workshop and on the ground, this way a wider number/species can get a greater share of the bounty and more will survive.

So do you want to look at them longer or help them, its more expensive to loose feed but better for the majority.

Davy.

I have to say that this does not tally with my experience. We have several bird feeders with peanuts, sunflower hearts and niger seeds (also fat balls in hard weather) outside the kitchen window. Whilst there is certainly a pecking order, everyone seems to get a look in. I do not often put out ground feed as the fallout from the feeders seems to be sufficient for the robins, chaffinches, blackbirds, etc. and I don't want there to be too much lying around to attract rats.

The smaller species (blue tits, willow tits, etc.) may sometimes be momentarily chased off by -for example- woodpeckers and nuthatches, but the little tits are more confiding and less afraid of humans than the woodpeckers and nuthatches, so make more use of the feeder that hangs very close to the kitchen window. They also return more quickly after disturbance. Swings and roundabouts.

Interestingly, all the birds seem to be relatively unconcerned when I shoot a rat or squirrel raiding the feeders (or underneath them) with either the air rifle or 9mm garden gun (which still makes a fair bang despite the moderator). They return to the feeders within a couple of minutes of such disturbance.

Burnt Ash

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Just a thought Davy
If the bully birds are getting stuffed at my numerous feeders then they aren't bothering the weedy ones who therefore have less stress in getting fed from nature ? (indirect benefit).

I must say I am sceptical about your assumptions, especially if there are several feeding stations.

Anyhow as long as we continue to feed the birds* by which ever method all is well and good.

*cue Mary Poppins.... I wish it was tuppence a bag!

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE