Faulty spoon knife?

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
Noob query here. I received my first ever spoon today and I'm a bit concerned. As you can see in the picture directly above the black mark there is a small 'bump'. Is this normal or should I return it for a replacement? Btw it's the Hans Karlsson right handed spoon knife.
Hope someone can help a noob out.

7240736388_d87fa1c430_z.jpg

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
Karlsson spoon knives are hand forged and as far as I can make out from the photos you are talking about what looks like a hammer mark on the back of the blade, Correct me if I am wrong but if there is not a defect in the cutting edge, it is just a forging mark from the blacksmiths hammer. Karlssons work is highly thought of and I am sure he would not let a defective spoon knife out of the workshop.
Hope this helps

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The defect IS in the cutting edge. ...

Would a better pic be possible? I *think* I can see what you mean ~ but I can't quite make out whether I'm looking at a difference in bevel angle or a bit missing from the cutting edge (??? section from just before the purple to just beyond the black mark ???). A pic with a contrasting background would help us give advice.

Have you notified the maker / supplier yet? If you have, have they responded yet and, if they have, what was their take on the situation?

Its where the blade has been over ground in that area . as its on the curve its easy to pause or lean a bit harder in one area and get this happen

If it dosnt affect he carving finish you get ie your happy with it I wouldn't bother changing is is possible it will disappear over time due to sharpening

ATB

Duncan

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
Would a better pic be possible?
Have you notified the maker / supplier yet? If you have, have they responded yet and, if they have, what was their take on the situation?

7241164788_506f35bae4_z.jpg

Is this picture better? and yes I have contacted maker and supplier but not heard back yet, btw you could be right. It looks like a piece of the edge is missing

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Is this picture better? and yes I have contacted maker and supplier but not heard back yet, btw you could be right. It looks like a piece of the edge is missing

Ahhh that's a better picture and I can see what you're referring to now... what you have is a dip rather than a bump on the cutting edge.

It appears to have been ground a bit too much in that area and personally I'd send it back asking for a replacement.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
yep I can see the issue there, I'd take it back mate. It probably won't make alot of difference in your results in use but I know all about how crappy it feels to expect 'perfection' and get obvious flaws in a product. I'm sure the maker will happily take it back, if not.. get a Ben Orford one, they are perfection! ;)

hope it gets sorted mate :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Is this picture better? ...

It certainly shows the dip / bulge better :yikes: Would I be correct in guessing that the affected bit is about 1cm long and 1mm in?
Personally I expect to work grinds to suit my own preference(s), but that's a heck of a lot to shift by hand straight off the bat and from new.

As Duncan said, how does it cut and does the dip / bulge affect the cutting action?

... and yes I have contacted maker and supplier but not heard back yet, ...

Give them time, the maker's got a good reputation ;)

...btw you could be right. It looks like a piece of the edge is missing

Poorly described by myself :eek: . It does look more like a very slight pause when the knife was ground. Quite easily fixed, but the primary questions you need to address are do you want to and should you have to?

Like I said, give the maker some time to get back to you ~ and chase if need be (Some makers like making but their comms can be 'a bit pants').

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'll probably send it back as I'm a bit scared of what will happen when I start sharpening it. Thanks for everyone's coments.

Wait until you hear back from the maker / seller ;)

As he has one from the same maker and it has the same 'issue' I'd happily go with Bardster's advice (And it might be worth looking at the link in his sig line too ~ and any courses held on June 9[SUP]th[/SUP] in particular ;) )

Last edited:

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
My Karlsonn is like that and it doesn't affect its function at all

What scares me a it is, what will happen to the mark when you start sharpening it? Will it get bigger, smaller or stay the same? Will it make it harder to sharpen? How is yours behaving when you sharpen it?
Sorry about the rant but I want to make sure I know what's going to happen to it since it has a slight flaw and I'm a complete noob.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Seeing as mine have only even been stropped, not needed to sharpen them so far, its not been a problem. What will happen is eventually it will even out. As i sharpen with flat stones, they will take more off the high points and less off the dip.
To be fair if you are worried about it and unhappy then you should see what the supplier says and if they are happy to replace then do so. I am comfortable with my tools and how to maintain them, but I fully understand that as someone new to such tools that you want to start from the best point possible.

As decorum says, you could come along to my workshop on the 9th and play with a few other tools and learn how to use and care for them. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE