Fathers day blade

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

My daughter brought me a one inch blade from Nic Westerman and I popped it into some laburnum that I have carved, happy day :)

The blade is sharper than a very sharp thing!

laburnum_knife_MG_9952.jpg

laburnum_knife_MG_9948.jpg

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Nice job Mark, you got that done quickly!

People I have seen that use blades like this tend to have the handle slimmer at tang, and I have roughly copied this style on my detail blades. Come to think of it I don't think I have needed the clearance that this gives but if you find the handle under the blade gets in the way it is easily sorted.

edit: adding a pic

detailblades.jpg

Forgot to ask did you try the single hair trick?

Last edited:

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi Nic

Nice job Mark, you got that done quickly!
I had the handle half done and drying, just in case a blade came along;)

People I have seen that use blades like this tend to have the handle slimmer at tang, and I have roughly copied this style on my detail blades. Come to think of it I don't think I have needed the clearance that this gives but if you find the handle under the blade gets in the way it is easily sorted.
I did think of going thinner at the tang but figured I would use it first and slim it as/if and when needed

Forgot to ask did you try the single hair trick?
Nope................. what single hair trick?

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Yep, you can always take excess off.

Idea is that you can pick out an individual hair on your forearm and just cut that one with the tip of the blade. Hours of fun :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work and a lovely gift. :)

I could have sworn that handle was Yew. Had to google laburnum wood, now i have i may get hold of a piece as it looks very nice. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE