fast grown wood

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We just had a spooncarving course and I picked up some willow from the tree surgeons to work with. I don't think I have ever seen faster grown wood. The only thing I can remember that came close was cricket bat willow. They are grown on fertile damp ground with lots of space round them so the grow incredibly fast. This wood was poles from the top of an old pollard.

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7622.jpg

8" diameter in 7 years is pretty fast growth. It worked really nicely too, here's a spoon and spatula one chap made.

IMG_7614.jpg

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Wow thats massive. Inch growth rings! I have never seen ones as wide as that any where.
What is willow like is it soft and even, doers it dry nicely without too much crack's. Was it used for treen in the past? i was offered an entire tree-18 inch diameter at the base-and which had grown right next to a river in Bury St Edmunds, but turned it down (because I had my firewood gathering hat on :lmao: and didnt rate willow as worth the effort of leading it home, cutting and splitting and stacking etc) Shame I let it go if it has possibilties for carving.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
if that tree was in the olympics they would be given it a drugs test.
I've used it as firewood before burns Ok if you can dry it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE