Farm Foods

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
A word of warning we bought come frozen mussels from farm foods called The Mussel Shack. because we go down to the coast and pick mussels when we can we knew straight away something was seriously wrong when cooked the frozen bought ones the shells were like paper and the smell was a combination of cheesy feet and halitosis so be very aware if you buy some, we will be taking them back tomorrow or contacting the company.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
We contacted the company today and they were really apologetic we also found out that Scottish mussel is a different mussel to what we get here in Wales they have much thinner shells do not produce a great amount of meat and don't keep as long seems they are hybrid species, the food standards agency may want to run some tests.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
What a load of rubbish! They might as well have said that they speak with a different accent!

I can safely tell you that the mussels that I forage locally to me and the ones I used to get on the East Coast certainly had shells no different to the ones I got on the south of England! They also have no noticeable difference in the amount of meat in them. When they cook they certainly don't smell bad, just a good healthy smell of the sea.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds as though Farmfoods are covering their backsides.

Frankly that's a load of mince, and rotten mince at that. Clabby dubh's are heavy shelled.
http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/ModiolusRestorationResearchGroup/Thehorsemussel/

"The Scottish Shellfish Marketing Group is the UK's premier producer of finest quality shellfish, supplying supermarkets, wholesalers and restaurants with mussels and oysters farmed from the crystal clear waters of sheltered sea lochs located along the full length of the West coast of Scotland."
http://www.scottishshellfish.co.uk/

Not saying your pack wasn't off, but if it was it wasn't because the shellfish were a different variety.
M&S had a problem with mussels just before Christmas.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...usands-mussels-amid-food-poisoning-risks.html

If Farmfoods sold you substandard food that was off, then that's their responsibility.

M

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Refer them to the sale of good and services act 1981, it stipulates that anything purchased must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time, i have worked in all areas of online sales and customer service the whole adult life, hence the borderline insanity.

To be precise
Your legal rights as a consumer and a companies responsibilities in this situation are very clearly laid out, according to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 items purchased must be of satisfactory quality and as described, they must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time, this also applies to any item provided as a replacement for any item that does not qualify to the above mentioned standards.

To be precise

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That was taken from a letter i recently sent which has made the company involved replace my snapped £1500 mtb with a brand new £3500 mtb, just awaiting the arrival this week

I am very surprised at your company taking this stance, this is probably the right time to let you all know I have worked in online sales and customer service for the last 10 years and I am very aware of my rights as well as your companies responsibilities in this type of situation, I have been discussing this with my superiors at work and going over the legals that we as a company must adhere to in regards to the sale of good and services, we have it in explicit detail on our work database to protect us and our customers equally.

My legal rights as a consumer and your companies responsibilities in this situation are very clearly laid out, according to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 items purchased must be of satisfactory quality and as described, they must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time, this also applies to any item provided as a replacement for any item that does not qualify to the above mentioned standards.

The rest of the letter detailed why the bike did not fit these specific guidelines by only lasting 7 weeks and then trying to replace it with just a frame that none of the old parts fitted on, or as i put it "Not fit for purpose"

Your mussels purchase was not fit for purpose

Last edited:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
What a load of rubbish! They might as well have said that they speak with a different accent!

I can safely tell you that the mussels that I forage locally to me and the ones I used to get on the East Coast certainly had shells no different to the ones I got on the south of England! They also have no noticeable difference in the amount of meat in them. When they cook they certainly don't smell bad, just a good healthy smell of the sea.

Damage limitations me thinks but we have the mussels in the freezer as evidence.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Fi and I picked the most amazing tasting mussels on the coast of Fetlar they did'nt even need purged we picked and ate, so do I write to the company where they came from (Motherwell) of all places or Farm foods.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Your contact of purchase it is their responsibility to uphold your consumer rights and they with their suppliers, this is exactly what the bike shop tried to do to me, they referred me to the bike manufacturers T's and C's in regards to sales with them thinking i would read it and accept just a new frame as replacement for a new bike, they changed their tune very quick after I mentioned the Sale of goods and service act and why it had been broken by them

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Fi managed to eat 3 but god she was farting like a goodun and felt a bit queasy today, I ate one and fi's daughter ate one, thankfully we are all ok the companies trade name is the Mussel Shack seems its based in Cornwall.

xylaria

Scottish mussels arent a different species, well the one in farmed packets aren't supposed to be, however there is problem. The ordinary mussel is the blue mussel [mytilus edulis], good strong shell with nice meat and reasonably easy for shelf life to be preserved, there is also the bay mussel [mytilus trossulus] which although can be eaten have thin shells, much worse shelf life and are more prone to contamination. The bay mussel has led to farms in some scottish loughs to be abandoned. Whatever species these were the smell was appaling, they were tasteless and the flesh was crumbly. The meat was also half the size expected of the shell size. The shells were glass like, transparent and breaks with very little pressure. The bay mussel are probably fine straight of the sea, but aren't suitable for the the food industry.

We contacted the local food inspectors from the council which will get back to us, the shop gave us a refund [but did offer a direct replacement!!!!] , and the firm was polite when rung up. The shop didnt have a manager on duty, and didnt remove the product from sale. The shopp supervisior was informed that the local council food health had been informed and the company had been contacted. I honestly think these mussels are contaminated enough to be very dangerous, she dint seem to grasp they might be selling something unfit for human consumption. OK farmfoods most their stuff isnt that edible, but it shouldn't kill you.

Last edited:

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
much worse shelf life and are more prone to contamination. The bay mussel has led to farms in some scottish loughs to be abandoned. Whatever species these were the smell was appaling, they were tasteless and the flesh was crumbly. The meat was also half the size expected of the shell size. The shells were glass like, transparent and breaks with very little pressure. The bay mussel are probably fine straight of the sea, but aren't suitable for the the food industry.

That sounds distinctly like contamination. No healthy mussel shell is transparent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE