Farewell for now

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. I'm off for a few weeks so that I can concentrate on a number of small projects. I've recently finished four utensils, and I'm proud of them, but I'd like to do a few more projects on a smaller scale. Using the wonderful Jonsbushcraft tutorials, I feel like making a whistle, crook knife case, comb and birch bark tray. I'll also start on a walking stick. These little craft projects seem like a great way to really understand natural materials and some of them are very relevant, like the crook knife case. What better way to know Elder wood than to make a neat whistle out of it, for example. Seems a good idea, so I'll return once I've completed all of these and post them in one thread. Next step after all of that is to learn proper knife and axe maintenance and begin learning kuksas and other such bowls.

Thanks for all the help so far. I may return to ask a few questions, of course.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
TBH that should be your priority if you're planning to do a load of carving.

Nothing worse than having a blunt knife or axe when you've a lot of work planned.
Well, yes, you are correct. I figured since my equipment is fairly new I could just continue on, but you're right. I guess I have used my axe quite a lot. I'll look into it BEFORE I start.

Thanks and farewell for now.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well, yes, you are correct. I figured since my equipment is fairly new I could just continue on, but you're right. I guess I have used my axe quite a lot. I'll look into it BEFORE I start.

Thanks and farewell for now.

Just out of interest what main knife are you using? :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Just out of interest what main knife are you using? :)
My general Bushcraft knife is a standard Mora companion MG Clipper, I believe, and my wood carving knife is the Mora 120.

I'll be leaving the forum soon, so once again thanks to everyone who has given me tips about woodcraft. I feel like I am on the road to becoming a craftsman, and learning to make these side projects over the Winter holidays will be a fun and valuable experience and will add to my collection of things I've made.

Bye.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE