Family Day

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I enjoyed a great day up on the South Downs today supporting a Family day that had been organised by one of the local Conservation Groups i support, they had asked me ages ago if i could demo a few Bushcraft skills during the day and i was only to happy to help out.

The day started off wet and rainy with a NE wind and things didn't look good at all for a while, but shortly after we got to the spot, the clouds lifted, the wind seemed to decrease, but that may have also had a lot to do with the fact that we were also in the lee of some Hornbeam & Beach trees.

So out with the Gazebo, rope off all around it as a safety cordon as i was using sharps, Elm axe block all set up for some spoon carving and a big bucket of water and my folding fire bowl ready to go for later in the day when i was doing some Bow Drill demo's

DSCN5452.jpg

Eldest was the official photographer for the day, and i have no idea what it is about this picture he took, but something in it, just makes it right

DSCN5455.jpg

As well as me doing a few things, the group had also organised many other activities, including Pond Dipping, Tree & Plant ID Challenges and a Treasure Hunt

Pond dipping under way

DSCN5458.jpg

and some Newts, that nobody knew where there, more on that later

DSCN5459.jpg

DSCN5460.jpg

The area we were in - lovely spot

DSCN5468.jpg

Yours truly making smoke (flint & steel fire lighting)

DSCN5475.jpg

Explaining how you can use fungi to make fire (Cramp Balls in this case)

DSCN5491.jpg

and then using the glowing cramp ball to make flame with the help of some hay

DSCN5502.jpg

DSCN5478.jpg

Was time for some more spoon carving after that, then on to Friction Fire, explaining the principal of low friction and maximum friction and how the method works

DSCN5512.jpg

DSCN5513.jpg

Normally i can get an ember first hit with the Bow drill, but today the dampness of the woods and air made it a little more difficult than normal and the first two attempts, although they did produce embers, were not strong enough to maintain and grow

DSCN5515.jpg

So time for another attempt and at this point, who should turn up, but me old mucker RockMonkey, in the background with the stick and his wife.

DSCN5518.jpg

Time to spin up that drill and make an ember

DSCN5523.jpg

DSCN5526.jpg

ember made, time to get it into the tinder bundle, because it was so damp, i used some crushed cramp balls as an ember extender

DSCN5542.jpg

DSCN5543.jpg

Time to smoke out the public

DSCN5544.jpg

DSCN5547.jpg

and we have fire and a round of applause

DSCN5548.jpg

Crowds have dwindled a bit now, but still a few people around

DSCN5555.jpg

and the kids are still enjoying their pond dipping

DSCN5557.jpg

and im still cranking out bow drill fires

DSCN5558.jpg

at this point my photographer moved to the Dew Pond, where pond dipping and making casts of animal tracks was under way

DSCN5559.jpg

DSCN5565.jpg

DSCN5570.jpg

DSCN5573.jpg

The pond dipping was a great success with over 120 Newts, yup, that nobody knew where there, being caught and all returned to the water alive i hasten to add.

DSCN5584.jpg

DSCN5577.jpg

A great day out with some quality people who love the countryside and know and understand how it works and want to keep it and maintain it for all to enjoy.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
The weather turned out to be good, and a good job done by you Kep!
I see from the photo's that the Wellie wearing Mr Monkey is still stalking you!:), Damn good looking bloke though!!:lmao:
Looks like you ended up with a good turn out! and a lot was caught in the dew pond!, did not know there was that much in there!!!

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers Mr Monkey, good to see you and Mrs Monkey up there, have to say Mrs Monkey wins in the looks stakes over Mr Monkey any day of the week.:)

The amount of stuff that was found in pond was amazing, a lot of the group were stunned at the sheer volume of Newts in there.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Guys,was a good day for sure and at the end the group had attracted a couple of new members as well, so all was good in that respect too.

@Rockmonkey - i got three embers and blew each to flame this afternoon, in the same time as it took me to get the one decent ember yesterday, just goes to show the difference a bit of rain can make to proceedings, still tis all good practice:)

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Where exactly was this Mark and what Conservation group?

I had the same problem with the dampness a couple of years ago at the Moot. Hard work it was to get the embers.

As the Newts were unknown to the area, conservation wise does that have implications for it. I know when they developed some MOD land near me (Bramley) that the newts had to be moved to another area purposely maintained for them.

Cheers

George

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It was up on the Downs between Worthing & Shoreham George, the group was a local Friends of the Downs, we have a work day up there once a month doing a bit of tree planting, cutting back around paths etc, all very informal, but good fun with good people, the land is a designated Local Nature Reserve that is owned by the Council, there have been Newts found here in the past, but we didnt know there were that many in the pond, was a bit of shock for all of us.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The smooth Newt is protected under schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 under (section 9[5]) this protects only with respect to trade (prohibition of sale and advertising for sale, etc. It does not protect it in respect of development. It can be protected in respect to designation on the site on which it is found. Great Crested Newts are a whole different ball game. They are a protected by a whole raft of legislation as a European Protected Species.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE