Fallkniven S1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Out in the garden over the weekend practicing with the S1, love the 5 inch blade over the more commonly used by me 4 or 4 1/2 inch.
Just can’t get used to the handle length seems far to small and the width to thin. Does anyone else who owns an S1 have the same opinion on this knife.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I'm guessing it's for the same reason as the F1 to allow for the wearing of gloves?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have had an S1 for a fair few years, and i also have quite large hands. I've never had a problem with the handle myself, but it does initially feel strange if you are used to larger and more contoured e.g. 'coke bottle' shaped grips. I think its a great knife to be honest, and as you say, a handy length that better lends itself to very light chopping type activities at a pinch. The biggest problem i have with it is sharpening! I pride myself on being able to get my knives razor sharp, but try as i might with the s1, I've never been happy with the results I've achieved.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Main reason I got rid of my S1. Handle too thin and caused me sores on the palm of my hand. Wrapping the handle helped but then you get issues with the sheath. Along with uneven grind and edge chipping I got cured from Fallkniven legend. Shame as I really liked the blade shape and size.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What I call the "Kestrel Constant", named for the bladesmiths.
http://www.kestreltool.com/
Palm up, fist grip, the tips of your second and third fingers should just barely touch the fat ball part of your thumb.
This is very important with wood carving hand tools like crooked knives, that you would use all day long.

For me, for both adzes and all carving knives, I need to start with a handle blank which is 7/8" x 7/8" and round it off.
3/4" is almost too skinny it hurts and 1" is almost unwieldly. I never imagined that such small changes would affect my grip comfort.

HaidaC.JPGDAdzeA.JPG

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
What I call the "Kestrel Constant", named for the bladesmiths.
http://www.kestreltool.com/
Palm up, fist grip, the tips of your second and third fingers should just barely touch the fat ball part of your thumb.
This is very important with wood carving hand tools like crooked knives, that you would use all day long.

For me, for both adzes and all carving knives, I need to start with a handle blank which is 7/8" x 7/8" and round it off.
3/4" is almost too skinny it hurts and 1" is almost unwieldly. I never imagined that such small changes would affect my grip comfort.

View attachment 58139View attachment 58143

Its a surprisingly small amount of change that makes a huge difference with offroad motorcycle grips as well.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Sarig

Apr 10, 2020
Norway
I quite like the handle shape of mine, and I've used it a lot since buying it three years ago.

For me though, it's a bit heavy and thick (the blade is 5mm!), so I always carry a second, smaller knife when I use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE