Faces = Who Is It?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I live in a mountain valley of the Fraser River at 53N. Local peaks no more than maybe 8,000'
Here are the eight, great, herbivores of my district. If you visited, end of September, a long day's
driving around, we might see them all within 45 minutes of my house. I have a Nikon Prostaff 82mm
spotting scope, 20X - 60X, but 40X is about the practical limit.
So, no bears (black and grizzly), no cats (cougar, lynx or bobcat), no dogs (wolf or coyote).
No Llama, no porcupine, no beaver.
I'm pleased with the rather neolithic character of these carvings.
Can you name them all?

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums...imal Carvings/ANIMALFAMILY005_zps2039a6f1.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OOps
ANIMALFAMILY005_zps2039a6f1.jpg

The cedar ones are 17" tall by 5.5" wide, not all in proportion to eachother.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
'Way to go, petro! Sage assessments, very well done but left-to-right, who are they?
Here's a useless hint = they are all really, really good to eat.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, Harvestman.
I'd done the drawing for one of them and realized that as a concept, I could use essentially the same face of all 8 of them.
Just change the headgear. Speaking of which, here's a hint: separate the antlers at the top. Spread them left and right in a more
natural configuration. Bison, Mountain Goat and Mountain Sheep have permanent horns. The others, the antlers, are deciduous
like oak leaves.
They were as you see, on a wall in my house. Now, they all live on fenceposts in my back yard.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OK, Left to right, top row.
Mountain Caribou. They come dow out of their mountain range to the Fraser River, April/May. Locals say they graze on something in particular then go back up.
Bison. (plains or woodland, I can't remember). Ranched just the other side of my village. Very costly but you can arrange to 'harvest' your own.
Moose. Affectionately known here as a "swamp donkey." Also a brand of dark ale from the Three Ranges Brewery in Valemount.
Elk. Introduced. They've been sneaking west along the HWY 16 corridor for decades. Major ranching nuisance animals.

Left to right, bottom row
Mountain Goat then Mountain Sheep. They are most easily seen in a no-hunting sanctuary up the Holmes River with a big spotting scope.
Mule Deer. Antlers have main beams. If you are really quiet, in the middle of the night, they could be standing just on the outside of my front door.
Whitetail Deer. Don't come into town much at all. Some riverside pastures east of here would be our first stop at dusk.

There are true hybrid Whitetail/Muleys. I liked what I got for these.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE