Exploring Devon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not really survival this one, but we wish to travel to England this summer (the pound came down a little), so it's affordable for us Belgians.

We thougth visiting some interesting places in Devon. Dartmoor and such. Does anyone know about interesting camp sites (family standards, we're traveling with children). But we would'nt like to settle on posh over-tourist, screaming camping grounds. Something more wild and rewarding, please.
On our way from Dover/Ramsgate, we might also stop in the New Forest area. Good addresses there would also be appreciated as well. Camping grounds, crafts and ancient technology, all that stuff.
Anyone any idea?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Its been 10 or 15 years since I camped there, but the Red Shoot campsite in the New Forest used to be very good. I'm not sure I'd call it wild country though.

http://www.redshoot-campingpark.com/

Devon/Dartmoor/Cornwall are well worth a visit and I don't think you will be disappointed. I live on the edge of the Scottish Highlands but I still go to Devon and Cornwall often for holidays.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the River Dart campsite used to be a scream when i was a kid, it may be more touristy now, but its probably great fun for a day or so - they had a wicked adventure playground (and deathslide!) there.
To be honest, its such a great part of the uk with exmoor, dartmoor, cornwall, the brendons etc etc all within a few hrs or much less of each other you cant really go wrong.
I'd probably just go and see what I could find, I've wild camped on Dartmoor loads of times, as well as everywhere else around there and its all good to be honest - obviously I had full permission and left as little sign as i possibly could :)
Have a great time!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
River dart is a bit touristy. But there is a huge amount for kids to do and there is loads to see and do in the area. The site we use down here is very quiet and not quite what you are after. Try asking the same on ukcampsite.co.uk forums. I will ask swmbo when she is awake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE