Experiences of thermals with silver particles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Has anyone experienced the base layer thermals that have silver particles/layer built in to combat bacteria, such as the X-Static materials?

I'm thinking of buying some. The idea is that you don't smell after a few days wearing them as the bacteria responsible for nasty niffs is killed by the silver ions.

Secondly, does anyone know a place in London with a decent range to choose from? I'm going to try Cotswolds in Picadilly tomorrow and Field and Trek, Baker Street, but are there any other places to try?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've used them. *looks to his Malden Mills base layer shirt hanging up beside him* Okay, I'm planning on wearing it today.

Anyway, it doesn't wash out, so as long as you have the gear, the silver'll be there. Anway, it's not like it makes your synthetics not stink, they'll do that no matter what. But, silver impregnated synthetics makes that stink wash out at the end of the hike, (unlike the old stuff) and it keeps that stink at a reasonable level so in a week long hike, your partner doesn't have to hike a mile downwind of you.

On the other hand, some companies like Helly Hansen and their polypropylene "Lifa" brand of synthetics don't use silver at all. They use a mono-filament yarn that has no "contact points" touching the skin, so there is no point for bacteria to adhere itself to the garment.

I use either or, depending on the weather. But the stuff works!

Adam

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
addyb said:
I've used them. *looks to his Malden Mills base layer shirt hanging up beside him* Okay, I'm planning on wearing it today.

Anyway, it doesn't wash out, so as long as you have the gear, the silver'll be there. Anway, it's not like it makes your synthetics not stink, they'll do that no matter what. But, silver impregnated synthetics makes that stink wash out at the end of the hike, (unlike the old stuff) and it keeps that stink at a reasonable level so in a week long hike, your partner doesn't have to hike a mile downwind of you.

On the other hand, some companies like Helly Hansen and their polypropylene "Lifa" brand of synthetics don't use silver at all. They use a mono-filament yarn that has no "contact points" touching the skin, so there is no point for bacteria to adhere itself to the garment.

I use either or, depending on the weather. But the stuff works!

Adam

LOL maybe after a week hiking with your mate you enjoy the time alone when he is kept at a distance. :D How do you use upwind and downwind in english.
I thought if I stink and my buddy is going downwind from me doesnt he get my smell anyhow? I would think that the wind hits my body and takes the stink and carries it downwind to my buddy walking behind me. Where is acctually downwind and upwind. I have no idea but would like to learn the term.

thanks
Abbe

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Abbe, I think you understand it already..

"Upwind" is the wind that has not reached you yet, but is heading your way..

"Downwind" is the wind that has passed you and is heading away from you..

"in a week long hike, your partner doesn't have to hike a mile downwind of you." I think is not what Addyb meant (unless his partner is the one with the stink problem :lmao: )

cheers
Steve

overtaken on the straight :rolleyes:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Yes, that's what I meant. The comment was sort of a nod to the climbers of days gone by, when synthetic underwear wasn't able to be anti-microbial. In those days, all that was available was old-fashioned polypropylene. While it was excellent as a base layer, it would start to smell really quickly, and a person who owned it would never be able to wash the b.o. out. Hence, "hiking a mile downwind" so you wouldn't have to smell your climbing partner.

Anyway, Malden Mills put out Polartec fleece with silver impregnated yarns, which basically solved the body odour problem. A few years ago however, Helly Hansen discovered a new polypropylene yarn to make their vaunted Lifa base layer anti-microbial. The solution was to weave the garments from a mono-filament yarn. That is, one long single strand. This way, body odour has no way to adhere itself to the polypropylene.

I have both, Lifa polypro and Malden Mills polartec long-johns. I find that that the Lifa has superior moisture transportation, but isn't as warm as the Polartec. The Polartec doesn't move moisture away from my body as quickly as the Lifa, but when I wear the two together, I think I've found the perfect combination for a cold-weather base layer.

If one were to buy a box of Lifa underwear, it says right on it "Use with a second layer to maximize moisture transfer." They're quite right. Lifa is hydrophobic, Polartec is hydrophillic. I find the two of them put together to be basically unstoppable when I'm in the outdoors. As well, they're both quite thin, so if I get too hot or too cold, one of them comes off.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Yes, that's true, you could wear merino wool. But the fact of the matter is that no matter how comfortable or lightweight or fast wicking wool underwear is, it will never reach a synthetic baselayer's rate of moisture transportation, or drying times. In the Olympics, the biathletes and cross-country skiiers all wear synthetic underwear for that reason and that reason alone. It's not very warm stuff on it's own, but when your body is working hard and putting out massive amounts of sweat, synthetic underwear are currently the only garments out there that move that sweat away from your body fast enough.

Why can't someone invent something that wicks as fast as synthetics but is as durable and anti-microbial as wool? Anyone want to take a stab at this one? I'd be willing to help get it patented! :D

Cheers,

Adam

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello...

I have been interested in the anti bacterial properties of silver for a few years now.
I have considered buying some socks and vests but they are expensive.
So....I tried to devise a method of making your own silver impregnated clothing.

One idea was to soak the undergarment in a solution of water that was saturated with silver ions and let it dry. Hoping that the ions of silver would be impregnated in the material. To make a solution of water containing silver ions is easy to do.

I have not tried it yet but I will put it on my list of things to do.

Facts about Silver..

Scrap value £3.60p per ounce (so its not expensive)

1 ounce of silver would make heaps of silver solution (collodial silver)

A 1 ounce dollar costs about £7 on ebay

Apparently american early settelers (cowbows) used to put a silver dollar in the milk jug to slow down the souring process.

Silver foil is used to treat serious burns.

Silver cutlery....must help kill bugs

Did think of sewing really thin silver wire into socks but the really thin wire is expensive

You can now understand why people think I'm nuts Ha Ha John

D

digbum

About two years ago both me and me girlfriend bought Peter Storm antibacterial thermals (trouser and shirts) for wearing at work. Everything was good for two or three days untill the poor girl developed a horrible rash all over her body (excpt the head and hands). Apparently she's allergic to the anitbacterial stuff used by Mr Storm.

Im absolutley fine with em', although after i accused her of being a giant bacteria she 'kindly' donated her set to me. I must say that the ladys style trouser is not particularly comfortable at work........ :eek:

Anyway, just wanted to point out that you cant return this type of garment to the shops once you'v worn it / discovered your allergic to it. Might be worth bearing in mind before you go spending a fortune.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I have sensitive skin (latex allergies and all that) so have had concerns about Merino Wool as a base layer, and that's a valid point about the Pete Storm stuff.

Yesterday I decided to go and buy some. I got up, had a bath, put on plenty of anti pespirant deodorant (the so called 24 hour stuff. Should sue them under trades description act...) popped on a cotton top, a Snugak Softie pile shirt and my SASS smock and a pair of 501s. Headed off on a route march from Highbury into town via Camden to Piccadilly. My usual speed is quite fast as I always overtake the infedels that conspire to slow my progress through the mean streets of London, and this speed is maintained for the whole trip which is about 5 miles at a guess. Weather-it's snowing!! Within half a mile I'm warm. By Camden (1.8 miles) I'm hot and sweating. By Great Portland Street (halfway) I'm soaked and have to open smock and open vent zips on pile shirt. Still snowing. By the time I reach Cotswolds in Piccadilly I'm starting to wiff a bit (yep, not very 24 hours that stuff...) and that's why I want something with the silver in to help combat this.

I buy a Thermarest Lite 3 for £35 in the sale, and some of that Storm fleurocarbon proofing fluid. I also buy a North Face base layer with silver ions and an Icebreaker Merino Wool base layer for comparison. I put the North Face one on after purchase to wear home to see the effect, and ditch the offending cotton item.

Well, what an effect. Instantly i felt dry, and no nasty niffs. Hmm... so I head up to Covent Garden to the North Face shop to check out some more of the range then race up Charing Cross Road to meet my girlfriend in Tottenham Court Road. Still feeling and smelling as fresh as a daisy. After an eternity in the Virgin store (like a sauna) fighting for cheap DVDs (they have Ray Mears Extreme survival 1+2 for £15 in the sale dept.) I marched home while she took the bus. No longer snowing but still cold. Got home feeling and smelling fine.

Well, I'm convinced. I bought some long johns in the same stuff from the North Face shop and if all goes well in further trials I shall invest in a few more and a some tees for the summer. I haven't field tested the Merino yet, but I shall wear it over the NF one if I go on my New Year trip to Brecon.

The NF top (light weight crew) was about £25 and the strides about the same. The Mernio wool top was £40 and didn't fel itchy when i tried it on. I bought a size smaller than I normally would to get the skin tight fit that is essential with this type of product.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
"In the Olympics, the biathletes and cross-country skiiers all wear synthetic underwear for that reason and that reason alone. It's not very warm stuff on it's own, but when your body is working hard and putting out massive amounts of sweat, synthetic underwear are currently the only garments out there that move that sweat away from your body fast enough."
Thats true, but once they have finished they have lots of people who help them change into dry clothing. Otherwise they would start to freeze instantly.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Back again.
In the interest of scientific research I have worn the North Face base layer (with the silver particles) for 3 days without taking it off. This has involved a few high speed walks in town and standing in hot shops (why are they so bloody hot in winter? I mean, all the customers are wrapped up for the outdoors then come in and roast) and of course while busy packing my home up into boxes for my move next weekend.

Well, all I can say is that they are amazing. The thermal properties are ok, and would probably need boosting with the merino top, or buy the mid or heavy weight top (I have the light weight as i want it for wicking and anti smell properties more than warmth) but the main thing is NO SMELL!! On me or the top that is. The wicking effects is truly astounding. I have never worn any wicking clothing before, but am now converted. I know I'm getting hot and sweaty, but I can't feel or smell it. Perfect.

Gonna wash it today but in all honesty I could go on wearing it for longer I'm sure...

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Spacemonkey,

Yeah, the wicking is what keeps me wearing my HH Lifa Active, and my Malden Mills Polartec.

A word of advice though: DON'T throw them in your dryer. And DON'T use fabric softner when you wash 'em.

Other than that, they should give you years of lasting service. (Provided you don't get hit by a spark from a fire)

Cheers,

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE