Exped-Ergo Hammock Combi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My friend just bought this for our trip to Scotland at the end of the month (despite never having spent a night in a hammock :eek:), what do you guys think? More money than sense or buy right buy once? He also purchased an exped mat to go in it for a total of £280!

Any one got one so I can give him some hints setting it up?

0.B4!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Exped-Ergo Hammock Combi

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
The Exped stuff is generally top quality as we know
I have a dedicated Exped hammock tarp (not the one in this set up) and its perfect for the job Much better quality than DD.Never tried Exped hammock
For a first time hammock set up I have to say he has went in at the top end of easily available in UK kit tbh its probably more than he will really need; but it will definitely do the job very well.Have great trip that's the main thing
You pays your money ....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've heard they've had some issues with the zips and seams going, never seen one in the flesh but I'd like to one day. Apparently if you're much over 5'10" they're a bit cramped.

I'm curious to see how the tarp works with the perpendicular lay, can the tarp go up first or does it rely on the hammock suspension?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Honest opinion here, they look clumsy. Just wondering how your supposed to get in and then reach out to zip the mozzi net in place.
also how do you fit an underquilt for extra insulation.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I think they work on the basis you use a 9lw down mat in it so dont require an UQ. Agree the nest looks a pain but the flat lie looks most agreeable. be difficult to hang without the right trees though i reckon

dimi.t.dfd

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
studioblade.blogspot.com
I have an Exped Ergo Hammock, it's comfortable to sleep in. I am a sidesleeper. However it has some issues;

-The No-see-um mosquito mesh ripped in a few places after a few days...
-The included cordage is not very strong, it showed wear & tear after 2 single uses. Also it has too much give. IMHO it would be a good idea to include a set of tree-huggers & whoopieslings. It would make the package more user friendly.
-I am 1.80 meter tall & lengthwise it feels very small inside.Especially when the mosquito-mesh is closed. The width is perfect. A larger version would certainly be a good idea.
A hammock with some serious design faults. I own a few hammocks so I'm able to compare different brands. It must be said, the tarp is very good en versatile.

Exped claims it took them 6 years the develop it. IMHO they should have taken a little more time...Especially as it is the most expensive hammock on the market.
I returned to the shop,2 months ago. Still no news on warranty or refund...

IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg

Grtz,

Dimi

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for the replies everyone, seems like there might be some issues here :sigh:. I just hope he's pleased with it ultimately, but I'm sure I'll get a go so I'll report back with some pics :).

dimi.t.dfd

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2011
Belgium
studioblade.blogspot.com
Finally, some news. Exped repaired my Ergo hammock by stitching reinforcements in. I guess they realise the bug net attachment is a weak point.
Only problem for me is they charged me 26 euro for it. I don't care about the money, however, I refused to pay it as it should be covered by the warranty. It is brand new & I barely used. Definitely not a hammock for expedition use, my much cheaper frontline DD hammock has survived quite a few expeditions. I highly recommend it! A no-brainer; 300 euro versus 60 euro...

I'll probably sell this one & buy a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC.

Grtz,

Dimi

Apr 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The 2013 model of the Exped Ergo is 20cm longer (http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf) though i don't know if the other issues have been addressed. I have a Hennessy Explorer Asym Deluxe and a Warbonnet Blackbird with Warbonnet tarp. The flat lay of the Exped appeals to me so I just need to track down a 2013 model. I've never managed to find the so-called 'sweet spot' in the WBBB - i find the ridge of the foot box digs into my lower legs, and I don't sleep well on my back.

I'll pick up a 2013 model if I can find somewhere that will ship it to Sydney, and report back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE