Exidia glandulosa [black witches butter]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Witchesbutter.jpg
Witchesbutter01.jpg

Found this today and can't seem to find anything definitive on the edibility of this fungi, anyone have any insight?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Edibily comes under "we havent found anyone that has eaten it, or dies from eating it, it looks gross, so I aint trying it either" Saying that we ate witches eggs [immature stickhorn] in the autumn and they were lovely.

Not a clue if is edible and lovely, if it will kill you, make you puke, or about a palletable as slugs and larva bread on toast.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
" There has been much speculation over the origin of the unusual name. Some Eastern European legends tell of the fungus appearing over the entrances of houses whose owners have been put under a witches spell. The only way to get rid of this curse is to ***** the Witches’ Butter allowing the evil juices of the fungus to leak out. However, other stories claim that stabbing the fungus would cause the witch to appear. Despite its name, most scientists believe that the witches' butter is inedible. Either way, it’s probably best to steer clear of the Witches Butter,"

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Exidia glandulosa or 'Black Witches Butter' does have a couple of lookalikes Exidia nigricans formerly known as Exidia plana, with which it often confused and Bulgaria inquinans which although very similar only grows on Oak.

Exidia glandulosa is frequently confused with Exidia nigricans. The two are similar, but E. nigricans produces button-shaped fruit bodies in clusters that quickly become deformed and coalesce, forming an effused, lobed mass that can be 10 cm (3.9 in) or more across. The two species are indistinguishable microscopically, but DNA research indicates they are distinct.

Classed as 'inedible' from what I can gather this is more due to the fact that it's gelatinous, indistinct and bland, and unless hydrated is as tough as old boot leather. However, with fungi if I read the word inedible from 3 or more separate sources then I'll take their word for it and search for one which is edible, or even excellent eating. :)

Whilst searching though I did come across the Project Gutenburg eBook The Mushroom, Edible and Otherwise, by M. E. Hard which for a free book at 600+ pages is not bad, if a little old. :)

Si

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE