Exercise in covid-19 lockdown

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In fairness to Joe, I have a few adult friends that have been doing his sessions everyday - much much more exercise than they would have done otherwise.

When I've seen P90X advertised I've found it looks a bit scary. I've actually got a copy of it but too intimidated to start it. I've done the first half of insanity a few times and thought that if I can get stronger I might switch to P90X. Not sure that I'm ready for that yet though....

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I only did Ju-Jitsu for about 18 months and three belts. I did have periods of injury where I took breaks from training. One time I pulled all my intercostal muscles. Then not realising it I then messed up on a sacrificial throw and ended up with a nearly black belt brick outhouse of a guy landing full weight on my ribcage!! I was still in plain from coughing or laughing many weeks later. A few sprains and strains too. Almost eternal stubbed toes throughout that period. I really enjoyed it too!!!

Incidentally I read a martial arts magazine in Smith's that had a guide to the different styles about the time of one of my inquiries. It described Ju-Jitsu as "do this if you like to get injured all the time!!" It then went on to be really positive about the style. It certainly got my base fitness up and even though I was already very flexible it got my flexibility even higher to contortionist levels!! Martial arts really are a total body workout. Strength, CV fitness, flexibility and balance are all improved. That's before your spatial awareness and I would even say mental health benefits are considered. Plus our dojo did themed nights focused on self defence. A lot of that wasn't actually fighting techniques but risk or hazard awareness. Like with advanced driving lessons, you might n have the basics but actually being taught it you realise you had always missed a lot of hazards.

Joe is good. He's come in with free, daily classes that everyone can put in their own effort level according to their fitness. All done in a charismatic way. It's a kind of new approach to fitness in a way. The first to come out with such a programme.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
I only did Ju-Jitsu for about 18 months and three belts. I did have periods of injury where I took breaks from training. One time I pulled all my intercostal muscles. Then not realising it I then messed up on a sacrificial throw and ended up with a nearly black belt brick outhouse of a guy landing full weight on my ribcage!! I was still in plain from coughing or laughing many weeks later. A few sprains and strains too. Almost eternal stubbed toes throughout that period. I really enjoyed it too!!!

Incidentally I read a martial arts magazine in Smith's that had a guide to the different styles about the time of one of my inquiries. It described Ju-Jitsu as "do this if you like to get injured all the time!!" It then went on to be really positive about the style. It certainly got my base fitness up and even though I was already very flexible it got my flexibility even higher to contortionist levels!! Martial arts really are a total body workout. Strength, CV fitness, flexibility and balance are all improved. That's before your spatial awareness and I would even say mental health benefits are considered. Plus our dojo did themed nights focused on self defence. A lot of that wasn't actually fighting techniques but risk or hazard awareness. Like with advanced driving lessons, you might n have the basics but actually being taught it you realise you had always missed a lot of hazards.

Joe is good. He's come in with free, daily classes that everyone can put in their own effort level according to their fitness. All done in a charismatic way. It's a kind of new approach to fitness in a way. The first to come out with such a programme.
I love training in martial arts/karate. Like a lot of people I started as a kid, got to quite a decent level, then dropped out after uni, when I discovered "other" stuff in life. I missed it for years, and always wanted to start back up, and dabbled occasional, but constantly made up reasons/excuses for not doing so - (lot's of those were valid, but I think for me starting from scratch again and being older, slower and more out of shape - my ego was struggling with it.) as the kids got a bit older I though sod it and started back up but in a different style, that was a few years ago, and a year and a half ago I got my black belt. Hitting and kicking stuff, alongside escaping into the outdoors is what keep me relatively sane.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My work hours changed by an hour but that was enough to prevent me getting home, eating and making class times. My trouble is I need to eat regularly and not miss dinner. Class times no in longer fitted into my life. Minor excuse but I also ran out of monthly disposable contact lenses. It's very hard to do martial arts degree you might be getting hit one minute and getting pinned to the ground another with glasses on. Due to prescription I was limited to expensive lenses and back then they weren't comfortable. After an hour I my eyes were sore. After 2 I was close to clawing my eyes out. Needless to say hour drive round trip, hour lesson and fifteen minutes changing either side meant 2.5 hours minimum with lenses in, more like 3+ because I never got n the hang of putting in and taking out contact lenses.

Needless to say I doubt I'll go back to martial arts. I did love it when I did it. One of the best things was the people I trained with at my level. One guy was a perfect training partner. We were fairly close in weight and while I was taller there wasn't much difference. He got the techniques I didn't and I got the ones he didn't so we helped each other get on. When he left it really wasn't the same. I ended up training with anyone. This isn't sparring training but technique training, especially for gradings. I went from very short lady in her 40s to 5 foot 10 bloke weighing close to 20 stone of solid muscle. Add in this guy who came from kickboxing who didn't know the meaning of pulling your punches during technique training. I did re-educate him on that though, bounced him off the wall with a punch that sent him flying. Pulled his punches with me after that. Did worry I went too far at the time but the instructor just turned away laughing.

Martial arts is really good for many reasons. Fitness, mind, balance, flexibility, agility and self defence. Plus you meet some amazing people.

Reactions: rich d2

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
An hour and a half in the apiary at noon today (and only got half of it done :,-( ).

Nothing like manoeuvring heavy boxes slowly, precisely and very gently, while wearing a fleece under a bee suit, gloves and wellies in full sun to make you feel knackered afterwards.

Sanding down and re-oiling the garden table next and then a dog walk later on, when it's cooled down a bit.

No wonder I haven't got as far as following any exercise videos yet. :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Some slightly different exercise today. Not officially exercise but it got my heart rate up, a sweat on and took about an hour and forty five minutes....

Hand sawing this piece of yew off the rest of the split log for a project. It’s approx 21” x 9”.

302-DA2-F1-0-EB2-47-E6-BA7-E-F2227-C46-A38-A.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE