Ever had salt marsh beef???

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just been out to dinner with a (retired) local farmer.

Now I have heard of salt marsh lamb, but this one was new to me.

This guy runs his cattle (Charolais / South Devon cross) on the salt marshes here. He served us rib of beef grazed that way.

:yikes:

If you see any three legged cows on the marsh this year, I'll be at home creaming horseradish (that grows on his field boundaries).

There was only an 8lb roast for the four of us sadly :eek:.

Red

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
not personally Red,...

its served in a place near us,...(Lamb)

does it take on an enviromental flavour?,....

a quick search seems to give Norfolk as an area heavy with the method...

so youd recomend it then eh,....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are in Lincs (moved last year) and have been getting to know the neighbours. One great guy breeds heavy horses and keeps us in (free) veg. We have been trying to keep up in the "good neighbour" stakes so have made some gifts of chutneys, damson vodka, cakes etc.

Anyway, he runs a few head of carefully bred beef cattle on the marshes - they graze on sea grass, samphire etc. He just got one back (hung for 21 days). OMG sweet, soft, salty .....just yummm

Came with home made yorkies, leeks and cabbage and sprouts plus roasties and mash. I'm in a bloated stupor :)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
and a rib is the best roast of the lot, we have one for Christmas dinner every year. Beats it's neighbour sirloin hands down in my book. You do need minimum 2 ribs though so it's always a big joint.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not had a rib for 20 years- it was properly slow roasted too.... I feel very spoiled tonight :D

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Never really thought about it being different but its a win win situation cos grazing cattle on unimproved land like that also encourages good field mushrooms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE