Ethical tent waterproofing?

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
Does anyone know how to improve the waterproofing of a tent without spraying it with microplastics...?

I keep finding abandoned tents and daydreaming about doing them up to gift on, so they don't go to landfill. But I suspect the big issue with them is low-quality fabric that's not waterproof enough. I've seen tutorials where you can spray on waterproofing medium but my eco-spidey-senses are saying 'hmmm, no' to that.

Is there another good option, beyond passing them on as festival/play tents?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I read somewhere about using oils on a canvas fly sheet but that was long ago.

The original Nicowax used to smell of candle wax. I suppose that you could experiment on a piece of polycotton with some candle wax dissolved in …… paraffin? Alcohol? Perhaps not!

Of course you’re not going to find anything more convenient or cheaper than Fabsil et al or the manufacturers would be using it.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I suppose there's also the question of whether it's better for the environment to use some less-eco-friendly waterproofer, or to condemn the tent to landfill. It might be the case that it's still a net benefit to re-waterproof them even without something fully eco friendly.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
As someone who has brought a cheap tipi back from the dead, I’d say that you can improve things with seam sealer and proofer. I’ve been using the tipi for 16 years which is beyond the life expectancy of some big name tents. I’ve used it predominantly in the winter. So yes, cheap fabric is worth working on if you already have it.

Whether you can do that with a plant based or otherwise organic product is the question and I don’t think that there is an easy answer.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I've had satisfactory results with NikwaxTent & Gear Solarproof spray on a nylon tent fly that had completely lost it's DWR, though old it was good quality fabric to start with. I believe it's pretty eco-friendly & I can vouch it works for moderate rain. Haven't tested it in downpours or thunderstorms though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE