Essex/Suffolk sites....?

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
A mate and I had two nights booked at the Orchard campsite near Woodbridge in Suffolk for next week, but I have received an email from them saying they will prob be closed due to flooding. We're looking for an alternative possibly wild camp area for one night, has anyone an experience of the following areas?

Fridays Woods (Colchester)
Donyland Woods (Colchester)
Hockey woods (rochford)
Hatfield forest (bishops stortford)

Or any other likely spots in Essex/Suffolk? I fully appreciate people may not wish to broadcast their views on certain areas so if you want to pm me I will be discrete....

Any and all advice appreciated, been looking forward to this of a while so it'll be a blow if we can't find somewhere.....

Thanks

Alan

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
camped over at friday woods as a kid, probably be requiring a modicam of stealth ;)
remember battering the sea cadets on E/A as a young army cadet..............................................................NOSTALGIA...................

we had a permission as kids in crockleford heath, the farmer used to bring us beer in return for keeping the poachers away. says a lot about greenstead kids :eek:
hope you get somewhere sorted mate.

regards jamie.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Wild camp sites are very few and far between in Suffolk.... in fact ni-on non existent..., As BCUK, does not condone wild camping, then its not a subject for discussion on the forum, and your very unlikely to get an answer,

There is a Campsite Newbourne Woodland Camping , but its expensive... but that is on the Bumking Thread :p;) you could try there.

Donnyland Woods, we have used, and there is a area one made by locals, but we dont like this one as its too well used and has been abused by other campers.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I wouldn't try Hatfield Forest at the moment. I live around a mile away from there and judging by the road flooding locally I would certainly stay away with the absence of any high-ground.

Besides, I'm not too sure how the National Trust folk would feel if you were caught there, unless wild-camping on NT land is allowed? Certainly be handy with my proximity.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Besides, I'm not too sure how the National Trust folk would feel if you were caught there, unless wild-camping on NT land is allowed? Certainly be handy with my proximity.

I would say no, as wild camping is not allowed in England and Wales.

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I would say no, as wild camping is not allowed in England and Wales.

I have heard rumors in the past that someone has received permission from National Trust sites although it is doubtful with the way society is these days with insurance and the rest of it to consider. Might be worth me going up to the office one day and just popping my head in and asking. Can't hurt. Has to be better than my camping ground, the farmer down the road has said I can camp in a small woodland but only problem is its 200m away from my house. Camping in plain view of my home comforts just seems wrong! lol

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I t never hurts to ask...

Lol yeah I know what you mean about camping just down the road, but hey its still getting out , and still allows you to practice skills, and get things right before, being in the right place but with the wrong kit, with skills that lack...

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
hatfield forrest is a no go area woodlife trails runs courses out of there in conjuction with the n/t so best left alone or better still book a course with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE