Essential gear for three nights away....

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Just planning my first ever canoe multi-day trip up to Loch Lomond, just me and a mate, what do you normally take?
Obviously everyone has their own priorities but all advice is welcome.
We plan to sleep under a tarp with sleeping bags and mats.
Tarp and dry bag suggestions would be nice too, I've yet to buy some.

Cheers, Karlos.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Just planning my first ever canoe multi-day trip up to Loch Lomond, just me and a mate, what do you normally take?
Obviously everyone had their own priorities but all advice is welcome.
We plan to sleep under a tarp with sleeping bags and mats.
Tarp and dry bag suggestions would be nice too, I've yet to buy some.

Cheers, Karlos.
Although I have canoed loads of times I normaly go with a sea kayak so there is not so much storage space here is a list I would take.

Sleeping bag (Nanok down -30)
Silk liner for above
Gortex army bivy sac
Sleep mat (I hav e prolite 4 packs reallly small)
Tarp (I have a 3x2 from dd for one its ideal but you might need something a little bigger for two
Para cord for tarp ;
Ground sheet(I use my plastic survival bag)
Tent pegs for pegging down

Stove (trangia and bush buddy )
Pots pans (I use the trangia pots)
Firestick (your playing with water ;) )

Bushlight + small head torch

Millbank bag
iodine or clorine tablets
2 1lt naglene bottles (Came with my playboat kayak ;) )

Hat keep the sun off sunblock (even in scotland uv ref;lects off the water!)

Plenty of dry bags (put everything in a drybag!)

Bungy cords to tie down EVERYTHING in the canoe

Bouancy aid
You will need water/windproof gear for in the canoe and a quick dry base layer for drying in camp. Dry cloths to change into at camp (Include shoe shoes or boots!)

Urm apart from that usual camping gear..

Have fun and remeber you can use your tarp as a small sail...

Simon

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Depending on when you will be going, a midge head net and good insect repellent. I was under a tarp overlooking the foot of Haweswater in the Lake District at the start of this month and the midges were terrible. I spent the night wearing my hat, midge net, long sleeves and gloves! It really was too warm for all that, but the head net was essential.

Another vote for the Exped dry bags. I reckon they are too thin though to just chuck in the boat, unlike the Seebags and stuff by Ortileb, both of which are much more robust, but heavy. After a friend got his kit wet while using the Exped bags, after an unsheduled swim :rolleyes:, I double bag now. One 40litre bag in the rucksack, then smaller bags fit in that and organise the kit.

Thin wool is great in the evening and to sleep in. I find I get cold wearing synthetics at night. Near the water the air is damp and wool just seems to be cosier.

Here is a list that a friend of mine sends out in the planning stage of every canoe expedition he runs, its been pretty much the same for trips to Knoydart, the Spey and Norwegian lakes. Some of you may have met Jed Yarnold before, but for those that haven't, he runs TrueNorthOutdoors http://www.truenorthoutdoor.co.uk/.

KNOYDART VOYAGEURS
The highly experienced folk gathering for this adventure probably have some pretty well formulated ideas as to what constitutes an ideal outfit for the wilderness of N W Scotland. So please bear with me as I expound my thoughts on the canoe borne aspect and how it impacts on what we carry. Here are some factors and principles to bear in mind:

• A wilderness canoe can easily carry an all up weight of 1000 lbs of personnel and cargo.
• If you need it or really want it, you can take it. Woo Hoo!
• But remember everything you take has to be packed, stacked and portaged, including the boat!
• Each member really only needs to be self sufficient for clothing, sleeping kit, bowl/mug/knife/spoon, personal medicaments and wash kit, that’s all.
• Everything else can be shared. After all, we are an entity, a team
• For those not acquainted with wilderness travel by open canoe, the sort of gear that you would wear for mountain walking will do for this sort of adventure – no need for wet suits/ dry suits etc.
• I strongly recommend that camping partners split into different partnerships for paddling.
• Forgetting vital equipment is crazy.
• Endless duplication is really crazy.
• A tidy boat with a minimum of well packed duffels is a joy.
• A boat full of egregious bits and bats is an abomination!
• Bitter experience has proved that radios, walkmans and newspapers really detract from the experience
• If we all communicate with each other, discuss and agree kit to take it makes for a first class trip, so please make suggestions. Mackerel lines, movie camera?
• Have a think on what subjects you would like to cover with reference to Bushcraft, then Dave and I can prepare.
• Lastly there is no such thing as a stupid question, so please ask on any aspect of kit, conditions, terrain or the itinerary.

I enclose a kit list which experience has helped me formulate. Less than this you may be uncomfortable, much more than this makes the portage a tad more challenging than it need be.
At the risk of telling you a lot of what you know already or things you may wildly disagree with, I also enclose some thoughts on the principles of clothing and equipment, according to Jed.

EXPEDITION KIT LIST

These items will be provided by Truenorth and Wildlife

Boat Gear

• Trailer / spare wheel / toolkit
• Open boats/ ratchet straps
• Paddles min: 1 per person 1 spare per boat
• Bailers
• Poles
• Sailing rigs
• Throwbag / rescue line / painters
• Buoyancy Aids (unless you prefer to bring your own) / whistles / 10 foot slings

Group Kit
• Tarp / lines / pegs
• Cooker / fuel / ancillaries / tools /water filter
• Sail
• Axe / saw / wedge
• Food packs / barrels
• Expendables: Polybags / cloths / washing liquid / scotchbright
• The Provisions
• Mapping/

PERSONAL KIT LIST- SCOTTISH SUMMER

Keep this list by you then tick the boxes when items are assembled to ensure kit is actually packed in the boats.

Waterproof Boat Pack (small and shared between the boat crew)
• Foulies & Fleeces / Softee x 2
• Bush Knife / Headtorch
• Food for the day/ Mugs /Spoons x 2
• Water bag or Bottles
• Personal First Aid kit/ bug dope (deet) / sunscreen/ head net
• Dry kit / Gloves

Paddling Kit

Shell
• Hat
• Foulies ( If not in boat pack):cagoule and wp trousers optional (I have wp cags and salopettes if you need them let me know)
• combat boots and sandals (my preferred option) or mountain shoes and old trainers
• Thermal Gloves (I won’t bother)

Mid Layers
• Windproof Jacket
• Polycotten shirt
• Tough bush pants – zip-offs are a good option
• Buff / Scarf / Bandana
• Thermal socks

Base Layers
• Quick drying grundies / swimming shorts
• Thermal vest / T shirt
• Liner sox

Duluth Pack - Camping Kit (Camping partners can share an enormous 100 litre bag between them or opt for a smaller individual pack each)
• Tent / poles / pegs (You may wish to bring your own 2 man tent – bug screen is essential!)
• Therm-a-rest / roll mat
• Sleeping bag / liner / pillowcase
• Prog bag: Wash kit / shamagh or thin towel / housewife / book / batteries / candle / spares / Hooch / journal & pen
• bowl / (Spoon / mug in boat bag?)
• Mobile phone
• Land Kit see below:

Land Kit
• Softee/ fleece top / touke
• Spare tough slacks / shorts
• Spare tough shirt
• Spare: long johns / grundies / sox / T shirt

Personal Canoeing Kit (Wilderness Tripping)
Jed Yarnold

Wilderness tripping is remarkably hard on personal clothing and equipment. Mud, rain, tree branches, thorns, granite, fire and food all conspire to soak it stain it, rip it, melt it, singe it and generally wear it out as quickly as possible. Only the toughest and most versatile clothing will survive long enough to become “old favourites”. So here are some pointers to success:

• Designer labels tell you more about the price than the function of the clothing. Farm shops, workwear shops and Countrywide, however, sell a whole range of tough clothing that is really inexpensive.

• Some of the less “Gucci” labels stocked by Millets and Blacks are great value for money. Look out for Peter Storm, Regatta, Gellert and Eurohike.

• Minimise, Minimise, then minimise again

• Read the care label and make sure you read the textile bits. In brief:

• THE BAD GUYS!

• Cotton, 100% Cotton, Cotton Rich: “In the hills cotton kills” “On the river cotton makes you shiver”. It gets wet, stays wet, binds and abrades and when wet will cause you to lose body heat 9 times faster than bare skin. True!! However, in a mix 35% cotton to 65% polyester it is comfortable and versatile as warm weather camp gear for shirt and trousers. For paddling, however, and when the weather is changeable avoid cotton. For very good reason the Canadians who are known for their plain speaking refer to it as “death cloth”.
• Linen, see all above for cotton and some. It also gets dirty and crumpled quickly and is ridiculously hard to wash and dry. It shrinks and loses shape. The pits!
• Wool, this is a tough one. Wool is warm-ish when wet but it is “hydrophilic”, never dries without a heat source and weighs a ton! It doesn’t get niffy as some of the man-made fabrics do and won’t melt but all in all it has been superseded by fleece. See below. (Note by Chris - Jed wore merrino base layer around camp every evening on last two trips this summer, but not for actual canoeing)
• Leather, it is hopeless as an outer layer of clothing, hot in summer, cold in winter, never dries or if force dried becomes a suit of armour.

• THE GOOD GUYS

• Polypropylene, this is great for next to the skin wear on wet trips, it wicks away moisture in seconds and dries fantastically fast. Most often seen as “Lifa”, the close fitting, blue, long sleeve T shirt and long johns with the white stripes on the sleeve by Helly Hanson. Look for cheaper versions they are available. You can rinse it in the river or loch and put it straight back on after wringing it quickly and you’re good to go. Also makes excellent liner socks for first rate moisture management. It does get niffy, however, this is a small price to pay for first rate performance when paddling in chilly weather.
• Polyester, this is the best all-rounder. As fleece, Polartech, or other micro fibres it is hard to beat for thermal properties. It’s tough, light, cheap, warm when wet and is “hydrophobic” which means it hates water and dries really quickly. As “Coolmax” it is more pricey but will keep you warm and dry.
• Pertex, a finely woven, windproof, shower-proof material that makes a fantastic garment when combined with a plain fleece inner layer. Buffalo brand is brilliant but again look out for cheaper versions on the market e.g. Mardale or Trax. This is the mainstay of wilderness canoeing gear in changeable weather.
• Acrylic, poor man’s wool. Brilliant! Cheap as chips, warm, tough, dries quickly.

CLOTHING HINTS

• Hats – You need 2, a broad brimmed one to keep the sun off your nose and ears and to stop the rain running down your face and back, it will also hold your bug net away from your face; a woolly one (Acrylic / fleece) for warmth in the evening.

• Wet Weather jacket and trousers – You do not need to spend a fortune on “membrane” technology. Vinyl, P U coated nylon will not stop working after a few days and a quick shake gets the wet off. Go for cheap and cheerful but with taped seams. Also go for a baggy fit so you can sling it on over your BA (NOT in white water!) and it allows the air to circulate and thereby reduce condensation.

• Socks – Merino wool / Coolmax mix are fantastic but can be pricey. Acryllic and nylon work a treat, are tough and dry really quickly. Wool, comfy but oh so slow drying. Cotton, useless!

• Footwear – Everyone has an opinion on this subject, but a good combination is: either combat boots or even “muckers” from a riding or farm shop they’re cheap, flexible but waterproof, tough enough for the woods and have a proper heel block to save sliding on the portage. River sandals for when its hot (beware sunburn!) and or trainers in the evenings to let your feet breathe. If it’s buggy wear sandals with socks (but you might be mistaken for a vicar!)

• Gloves – Gardening gloves are great around camp when sorting the fire collecting wood and avoiding bugs. Sore hands are a pain to paddle with.

KIT IDEAS

• Plate – Hard plastic or wood could well be in little bits after the first portage or someone drops a boat on your pack so go for a bowl, stainless steel dog bowl or 20cm balti dish, either is ideal.
• Mug – Again, simple steel mug perfect. Thermal mugs are OK but can be a tad fragile and hard to keep hygienic. Avoid aluminium it will burn your lip! Kuksa, lovely, step on it once – finito!
• Spoon – Stainless steel is ideal, it will cut food in your bowl and is hygienic, I never bother with a fork and eating knife and have never missed them. Your choice!
• Torch – LED head torches are compact, lightweight, ridiculously long battery life and brilliant for finding your way to the loo at night or reading in bed. They needn’t be expensive look for a “Carp-lighter” in your local fishing shop.
• Candles – low tech, effective, stick a stumpy fat one in your gear.
• Loo paper – Individual packs of tissues great, one pack per day for all needs. Bog roll; drop it once in wet heather and its sphagnum time!
• Books, - Do take your journal and a book

Remember if in doubt, leave it out!

Jed

D

Deleted member 4605

You could get the same one for £16 delivered through the Group Buy sandbag47 is running - I joined it late, and as far as I know it's still running.

I'm pleased with it - mainly because it fits my hammock (also from DD) - but it doesn't have anywhere near as many attachment points as my basha. You only get loops and eyelets on the four corners and split webbing in the middle of each side.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'd go with the list Chris provided... seems very sensible.

Mostly, as he touched upon, sort out with anyone you are meeting up with or going with and arrange to share certain items... no point everyone taking a saw, an axe, kettle etc and sharing will shrink the load you may have to carry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE