equipment list for making a leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushcraftnut

Hi there

This is my first time on here and was wondering if anyone could give me a diffinitive list of equipment to make leather sheaths? even down to the best adhesive / dye etc to use.

Thanks for your help

bushcraftnut

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi bushcraftnut and welcome to the site,

this one's been done quite a bit in the past, have you done a search through the forums?

Your best place to start will be rapidboy's excellent tutorial here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9693

this thread should help you out as well:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8885

You'll find plenty of other info if you do a quick search (using the search feature on the toolbar near the top of the page).

Let us know how you get on....

B

bushcraftnut

Thanks John will have a good search now. Will come back and let you know.

bushcraftnut

B

bushcraftnut

Hi
I have done a bit of research and have come up with the following list for starters. Interested to hear anyones comments and the best brand of adhesive to use.
LEATHER 3.5MM SHOULDER VEG TAN
STITCH GROOVER SMALL
OVERSTITCH WHEEL
IMPACT ADHESIVE (best brand?)
AWL HANDLE
AWL BLADE 2"
BEES WAX 30G
SIZE 4 NEEDLES 25
SAND PAPER
ADJUSTABLE STITCH GROOVER
FIEBLINGS PROFFESIONAL OIL DYE 4OZ DK BROWN
KIWI NEUTRAL SHOE POLISH
STANLEY KNIFE
THREAD LINEN 18/3 WHITE 25GM

bushcraftnut

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
bushcraftnut said:
Hi
I have done a bit of research and have come up with the following list for starters. Interested to hear anyones comments and the best brand of adhesive to use.
LEATHER 3.5MM SHOULDER VEG TAN
STITCH GROOVER SMALL
OVERSTITCH WHEEL
IMPACT ADHESIVE (best brand?)
AWL HANDLE
AWL BLADE 2"
BEES WAX 30G
SIZE 4 NEEDLES 25
SAND PAPER
ADJUSTABLE STITCH GROOVER
FIEBLINGS PROFFESIONAL OIL DYE 4OZ DK BROWN
KIWI NEUTRAL SHOE POLISH
STANLEY KNIFE
THREAD LINEN 18/3 WHITE 25GM

bushcraftnut

That would make a decent starter kit but if youre on a tight budget you wouldnt need all of that to get started, the following bits would allow you to make a sheath and then you could add to it as and when you wanted to

Leather
Awl handle
Awl blade
Needles
Sharp knife
Beeswax
Linen thread

You can use a piece of wood/bone/metal as a smoother former. A stitch marker is useful either a wheel or the straight comb type but I manage without one (I use a singer sewing machine without thread to mark my stitches) but you could do it by hand. A groover is nice but not essential. Oils and dyes of choice are optional and I personally dont use adhesive

B

bushcraftnut

Thanks for the advice Jason. Like your website.

bushcraftnut

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I use good old fashioned Evo Stik whenever I need to glue leather and it's never let me down yet. With the skin side of the leather I roughen it with some 40 or 60 grit paper before applying the glue to "key" it in. On harder, thicker leathers with a smooth finish to the flesh side I do the same on that side too, just to make sure the glue has a good chance of holding well.
I only ever really use the glue to hold pieces together while I prepare the holes for stitching or riveting. I never rely on the glue to hold the finished article together without the stitches or rivets, but when I have fouled up and needed to seperate glued parts before continuing with the job it has been a nightmare to get them apart without taking a layer off the leather (normally flesh side).

If you are looking to keep your starter kit to a minimum you could also do away with the awl. The awl is the "proper" way of doing the job, but many of us (me included) tend to cheat a little and simply drill the stitch holes with a 1mm,1.5mm or 2mm drill bit depending on what the item and the thread needs. A sharpened piece of stiff wire will do the job if you don't force it. Using a pillar drill or Black and Decker in a drill stand helps keep the stitch holes going nice and straight through the workpiece instead of wandering off to the side etc. This is more important with thicker workpieces as the error in alignment is more noticeable on the reverse side. For working with only 2 layers of 3.5mm leather a steady hand and a good eye should see you do do OK with a hand held drill.

For stitch marking on small pieces like knife sheaths you can make a perfectly usable tool by tapping a couple of panel pins halfway into the end of a hadwood dowel about the size of a pencil. Cut off the heads with wire cutters and simply use the two prongs as steppers to make evenly spaced marks along the stitch line. This is slower than a wheel but better for going round bends with than the fork type markers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE