Enzo Necker - and advice

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
At the Bushcraft Show I picked up a Necker kit from English Handmade Knives. Great little blade and a great buy, IMHO

baf3dd28beefc44b9c5c87e38a61dac6_zps9c7cea2b.jpg

I was not sure if to keep the G10 but though it would be worth a try. Here's what it looks like now.

864455f782f624a6572e6a011b7b22b0_zpsf174c733.jpg

Cute little knife and a keen edge.

My question to the forum? What to cloth it in? I'm a leather fan, but does leather go with G10 and such a garish colour? Show me examples if it does.

I've never tried kydex and in general am not keen. But would that suit better? If so help. We're do I get a bit of kydex and fittings and how do I do it?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
What metal is it?
maybe use it for wet weather conditions? in which case kydex would work better

X55 - ???, not a metal I know.
I was thinking kydex but I'm not generally a fan. That and I have no idea how to work kydex, if I were to go that way.

Will await some pics from others to get a feel.

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've just finished shaping black paper micarta on a scandi. I've got a full flat grind and I'm for the time being making leather sheaths for them both.

I'm going to make a kydex sheath for the scandi.

Also I've just found out X55 sharpens up really well all the way up to 6000 grit of Japanese stones, just needs a good strop now. Already very sharp.

Nice to find a forgotten about can of the black stuff in the back of the fridge on such a hot day!

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Ooow, I like that. I plan on getting a Scandi one at some point too. And now I'm thinking micarta. Yeh found out X55 steel is meant to be what Victorinox use so fairly stain resistant and hold a reasonable edge.

I prefer leather sheaths but just wonder if kydex would be better for this one. Just not a skill I've tried or kit I have.

I've just finished shaping black paper micarta on a scandi. I've got a full flat grind and I'm for the time being making leather sheaths for them both.

I'm going to make a kydex sheath for the scandi.

Also I've just found out X55 sharpens up really well all the way up to 6000 grit of Japanese stones, just needs a good strop now. Already very sharp.

Nice to find a forgotten about can of the black stuff in the back of the fridge on such a hot day!

Ps. Yep, can of Guinness is a winner

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've never worked in kydex before either, I've seen multiple tutorials on youtube. Infact I've had a sheet of 30x30cm for about 5 years now, itching to be used on something suitable.

I think for a small backup knife or one I can get wet, micarta and kydex should suit each other.

I'd never used micatra before either, just woods and horn in the past, but the horn I got for that scandi cracked badly when I drilled the first 3mm hole for the pin. So I got some cheap £4 paper micarta scales of ebay. I also used the CA superglue (from Wood And Knife Supply) instead of 2 part epoxy I normally use. Man that stuff is strong! It meant fitting it together quickly, just drill the holes and check everything lines up right before the final gluing. After and hour in G-clamps it was dry. Micarta eats cheap 80 grit belts from screw-fix on my 1x30, but did the job. I finished them with wet P600 wet & dry paper.

I was really happy with how tight my pins are:

The Trapper is my main user, this just feels like a mini version:

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
Hi, They are cracking little knives and I'm liking the G10. I would still go for leather as opposed to Kydex
unless your looking for that "tacticool" look:rolleyes: Here,s mine in the more trad look.
Maybe you could keep it simple with clean lines and dye it solid black for contrast.
005.jpg003.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Like that a lot. Sorted, leather it is. I have vinegroon so can do black. I like the cord and how its looped around the sheath. May steal that :)

Hi, They are cracking little knives and I'm liking the G10. I would still go for leather as opposed to Kydex
unless your looking for that "tacticool" look:rolleyes: Here,s mine in the more trad look.
Maybe you could keep it simple with clean lines and dye it solid black for contrast.
View attachment 20465View attachment 20466

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE