environmentally friendly personal products

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
bushtuckerman said:
Me and my siblings had them in christmas stockings when we were younger. I should get some now come to think of it!

Good for helping to give up smoking, having something in them that helps take the craving away and also something to fiddle with, they clean your teeth and your stomach lining and taste great............Try your local health food shop or holland and barret sell them in small packs. Some sticks do taste better than others, I find the thinner sticks are best.................Jon

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
gregorach said:
I've long been of the opinion that both shampoo and deoderant are counter-productive. I haven't used either in many, many years.
I must admit to never using deodorant and I use normal soap for my hair
My problem is that If I am taking other peoples kids out I not only have to set an example I have to be percieved to set an example.
One e-mail home to the effect that "Brixton doesn't use and says we don't need to use anti-perspirant!" would whip round mums and dads in a heartbeat. Probably end up, in the true spirit of chinese whispers, as me saying never wash at all
Thus jeapordising yours truly's employability

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
I've not washed my hair for at least 10 years, and I've not used deodorant or anti-perspirant for maybe 20 years now. I don't have dreads either.
It might seem a bit odd at first, but I can't imagine going back to it now.

My aunt makes a lot of natural soaps, and uses them for all sorts of different jobs, including washing hair.

Sun block is quite a hard one to do, but there are naturally based products you can safely use. these people come to mind.

My tip would be a trip down to a good local independent wholefood shop and see what they have.

Speaking personally, I only use ever use products that I am sure meet my ethical requirements from end to end, so no animal testing at any stage, no animal products, no exploited workforce, no mangled environment to produce the stuff, graceful degredation into the local environment, and minimal packaging. If only I could source that from a local supplier it would be perfect ... and the use of 'ethical' in this context is subjective and is not intended as incitement, nor to imply judgement. ;)

If I can't find it - I go without, or use something else.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
monkey_pork,

So do your scalp and hair remain un-oily etc of their own accord, and have they reached a natural balance like mentioned earlier in the thread by gregorach?

It's good to know your particular morals take precedence over convenience, many people lack the strength to be able to do that (including myself on too many occasions), but what is also lacking is the simple knowledge that consumerism replaces. I would hazard a guess that in evolutionary terms it is not long ago that we did not use soaps of any kind, and only much more recently have we used synthetics. I think what has changed is the proximity in which people live, and in other words the ventilation that we are used to in our houses!

I would aslo recommend Green People :)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
bushtuckerman said:
monkey_pork,

So do your scalp and hair remain un-oily etc of their own accord, and have they reached a natural balance like mentioned earlier in the thread by gregorach?

Yeah, they do. I do rinse through with water to get the 'external' grime out (as I work in town - urgh !), but that's all. The condition is good I think. I did have very very short hair for a while which helped at the initial stage, but it's getting quite long again now, (long enough to tie up) and at the risk of sounding like I'm talking rubbish - it's shiny and has lots of volume, (which means that I look like I've fallen through a hedge most of the time, but that's only because I don't brush it, and it hasn't been cut for months either - I bet this is a great picture I'm painting here !). I've not found any split ends either, but it hasn't stopped it getting a bit thin, and going grey in places.

Condition wise it's fine tho. I don't really remember what it was like going through it (probably as it was clipped in tight, and clearly didn't bother me much), I think it was a bit itchy, and a bit flaky, but that's about it. I did ask my partner, but she can't remember it either, which is probably a good sign.

bushtuckerman said:
monkey_pork,
It's good to know your particular morals take precedence over convenience, many people lack the strength to be able to do that (including myself on too many occasions), but what is also lacking is the simple knowledge that consumerism replaces. I would hazard a guess that in evolutionary terms it is not long ago that we did not use soaps of any kind, and only much more recently have we used synthetics. I think what has changed is the proximity in which people live, and in other words the ventilation that we are used to in our houses!
I would aslo recommend Green People :)

I could rant on about this for ages, but I'll try to keep it in check. :D
I'm conscious of the spirituality thread from a few days ago, so I'm keen to stress that there is no veiled references to any particular faith in what follows, (other than the faith in myself perhaps). It's an entirely atheist based approach I follow, and whilst this works for me, I'm absolutely happy that other people find their own, and quite different paths too.

Part of the problem I think, is that lots of people have lost something of themselves in the rush towards that bright, glittering future that bobs around just tantalisingly out of reach. I know I'm writing this from a position of enormous privilege, so I hope it doesn't sound condescending, but I'm trying to balance the obvious fact that I live like a king, in a safe, rich, stable and 'developed' country, with an appreciation, an embrace even, of the basic level of tech needed to be comfortable. That's why I follow this forum, it's great that some people are returning home. I only play at this of course, after a weekend out, I go home for a hot shower and see what's left in the veg bowl, but each time I'm rediscovering skills that I feel I should never have lost in the first place, and in so doing, rediscovering part of my humanity, and my proper place in things (whatever things are !).

Skipping over the details, (and there's really nothing at all interesting in this, it's just that over time I've put aside those things that are completely unimportant to me, like the TV or striving after the next new car - and I've long since given up fags and booze. I've always been a show pony about food tho - so a pile of muddy veg and some odd looking leaves is a very old, and a very dear friend to me) ... anyway, in so doing I've found my Way to live a happy, balanced, compassionate, and I guess ultimately, a very simple life, and I derive great pleasure from things like paddling my canoe, riding a bike, looking up at the stars, or just out walking, idling or sleeping out in the countryside (oh, and, err, decent edged tools of course). :rolleyes:

I don't think that many people are that lucky, and therein lies their need to somehow be something else, something other than what they are at heart. Only unhappiness lives that way I feel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE