Entry to USA with Libyan Stamp in Passport?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I can't find out any info on this (which may be a good thing) but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I'm off to America in September to backpack the John Muir Trail in California. However, I may have to go to Libya with work in February and am trying to find out if I might have any problems getting into the US with the Libyan stamp in my passport.

Hopefully I'm being paranoid but I don't want to jeopardize this trip so any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Stu

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Best bet is to contact the American embassy.

Apply for your visa in good time after returning from Libya,so that they have plenty of time to check you out.

IIRC,we are "friends" with Libya at the moment.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Do you need a US Visa? If you're going to stay less than 30 days then you can still get in on a Waiver. I wouldn't be overly concerned though, as BorderReiver says we're all friends again. :rolleyes:

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
if you are still having problems you can get a second passport for this kind of potential problem ( a friend of mine works all over the middle east and for an american company ) and this is how they get around it so if someone say yep its a problem (may be a way to go) personally i dont think it will be an issue just maybe a get out clause?

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
As soon as you get back from Libya, "damage" your passport (washing machine..??),
send it in, and get issued a new one. Plenty of time for that from Feb to Sept..!?!
Used to happen with South Africa amongst others, and still happens, as somebody else
metioned with Israeli visas....
Good luck with your trip...

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1543762&tstart=0

But if you have an Israeli visa you may not get into Libya.:rolleyes:

Thanks for that link Angus, it looks like I should be OK. I've been on the Lonely Planet site but missed the thread you posted.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I knew that someone here could help out. :D

I don't need a Visa so that is one thing I don't have to worry about.

I've got a number from the US embassy but it doesn't dial properly from work so I was stuck. If everything goes to plan with this project I may end up with future trips to Libya so 'losing' my passport isn't a long term option. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Stu

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I can't find out any info on this (which may be a good thing) but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I'm off to America in September to backpack the John Muir Trail in California. However, I may have to go to Libya with work in February and am trying to find out if I might have any problems getting into the US with the Libyan stamp in my passport.

Hopefully I'm being paranoid but I don't want to jeopardize this trip so any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Stu
I have worked in LIBYA and they let me back in:yelrotflm
All kidding aside you will be OK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE