Energy foods to eat while hiking

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
Im going hiking soon and i wanted to know from the more experinced hikers what sweets sould be eaten.

also i am hiking for about 4 days days and dont want to eat sweets if by the end of the day i have sh*ts or can food from like sports shops be used, but i know they any more expensive sometimes

lloyd

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
The best energy food that i use is dryed fruit and nut mix from sainsburys and plenty of beer but that is me :beerchug: not normal

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
For a boost while hiking, I generally go for dried fruit and nuts, salami, cheese (smoked keeps best), and oatcakes - although not necessarily all at once! ;) That selection seems to allow a pretty good balance of carbs, protein and fat, without being to heavy. Jerky is good too if you can get it. I don't really have much of a sweet tooth...

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Definitely agree with dried fruit, nuts, broken up biscuits/oatcakes, chocolate drops all mixed up and eaten as trail mix.
A six footer like myself will typically get through a 300g bag a day, with chocolate and hobnobs to keep things from getting dull.

Bombay mix is a great prepackaged and tasty solution for 'after day 3' when biscuits and the like start to get soggy.

I've just been recomended Chia seeds, I haven't tried them yet but they seem to be almost perfect.

Fats and proteins are hard to digest, require water to break down and raise the bodies temperture. Biltong, jerky, smoked sausage, pork scratchings and salty fare are best saved for eating at night to A) keep you warm when sleeping B) Allow them to repair muscle as opposed to just being burnt for their energy.

You do make a good point that too much carbohydrate can lead to messy and sudden evacuations- only exacerbated by a loaded waistbelt- make sure you include fibre in your mix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE