Endicotts Army Surplus...The Endicott Norwegian Strip av lerre

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Mac

Forager
Mar 25, 2009
Home.

ENDICOTTS

shop_pix_army_surplus.jpg

EST. 1937

Sarah and I travelled to Exeter during the spring vacation and visited our friend Kevin in his shop.​
This has to be the best little shop of it's type I have ever known.​

Kevin sells all manor of equipment for use in the great outdoors.​
I have been a customer at his shop for twenty years or so and used to buy equipment for heavy use when I was a S.A.R. Team member.​

In the past I have spent many months at a time abroad, living under the stars using equipment from Endy's.​

This guy has been hanging around for a long time now.​
Probably related to this chap...​

Kevin and his assistant Paul are always busy serving customers or packing up kit for mail order.​

On this visit I bought some O.G Lightweight trousers and placed an order for some good quality summer boots. Which means I'll have to make another visit...J;-)​
I also found an interesting roll of canvas marked (tent).​
I had a look at it in the shop and decided to buy it.​

It's a Norwegian ' Strip av lerret'.​
It's better known using the German word for it.​
Zeltbahn.​

It's a shelter sheet, poncho and an individual part of a bigger tent.​
The idea being that you can button two, four, eight, twelve or sixteen of these sheets together to make larger group shelters.​

A bit odd looking I must admit, I bought mine to wear in the evenings by an open fire, I figured it would keep a breeze at bay and not melt at the first hint of a spark.​
It can be folded and worn in many different arrangements.​
It is also long enough to use with my very long hammock.​

You can just make out the instructions printed on the Zelt for constructing larger tents.​

I figured that if I were to use this sheet other than a windcheater I had better improve its waterproof qualities.​
I hung it up in the garage and gave it a liberal coating of​

It does what it says on the tin.​

This treatment can darken the colour of the canvas, on this occasion there was little change.​
Whatever you do...​
Do not use this treatment on modern carbon based material.​
It will dissolve !!!​

Well, if these clouds are anything to go by, it looks like I'm going to need my new bit of kit to keep the weather off.​

You can call Kevin on 01392 433331
Or visit his site at...​

Endicotts Military Surplus and Outdoor Survival Equipment.​
2 West Street​
Exeter​
Devon​

EX1 1BA​

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE