End of an Era

My grandfather passed away Monday night/Tuesday morning.
He was 91 and died in the home he lived all his married life in.
he didnt have to suffer the indignity of being hooked upto machines.
nor taken out of his home and cared for either at my parents nor a care home. nor did he have to sell his home to fund his care.
he's reunited with his wife of 70years my nan who passed away last October.
she probably had the kettle on and some of the jam tarts he missed waiting for him

he had a massive impact on my life, taught me to fish, the joys of growing veg, the pleasure of woodworking the satisfaction of a job well done. I never heard him swear harsher than bugger only ever heard him raise his voice once. loads of other stuff too

if you are lucky enough to still have a grandad cherish him
if you are a grandfather then never underestimate how much you will influence your grandchildren.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I shall raise a glass to your grandfather mate.... doubt there will be many people about like that in the coming future...... a breed of person being forgotten in the world.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are worse ways to go than in your nineties in your own home.

I'm sure he's enjoying an extra tart :)

Great post Sam - sorry for your loss though

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss amigo.

Although I didn't know my own grandparents very well (my maternal grandparents died long before I was born, my paternal grandfather was great but I only knew him as a young child, and my paternal grandmother was a scary ginger woman), my mother in law and my dad (before he died) are / were great influences and much loved by my kids.

All the best to you and yours.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am sorry to hear of your loss - he sounds like he was a good bloke.
I lost one of mine when I was 10 and barely knew him - the other one died of injuries after WW1 and I never got to meet him.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm sorry for your loss and at the same time happy for the life he apparently led and the influence he had on you. General Patton was talking about soldiers when he made the following comment, but it seems equally appropriate here: "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
That's really sad news, sorry for your loss. I'm unfortunate to have never had a grandad, glad you had such a great relationship with yours.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My grandfather was a great influence on me too; I dont think he would have understood about bushcraft but he loved the outdoors, and taught me the names of the plants and the birds.

He died about 20 years ago and I still miss him. (Nan and mum too.)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I was 3 when my grandfather passed away. Cherish what time you had and celebrate the influence he had on you. Remember him in the things he taught you to love and you can keep no better memorial.

I feel your loss in your words. You honour him in the respect you show. Bless you mate and your family at this sad time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Sorry for your loss Sam. My Grandfather was a tenant farmer, started out with the horse and plough. I have memories of standing next to him in a big red combine harvester, riding through golden fields of corn when I was very young. He was useless with paperwork, but could fix anything with his hands. Simple, quiet big man, died in his eighties, I wish Id spent more time with him when I was a teenager. When he was a teenager he guarded the captured German, Italian airmen put to work in the fields with a shotgun. many generations of his family buried in Bramham. I'll be going to put a little xmas tree over his grave. My condolences. A generation sorely missed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE