Emergency tree lifting method

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Just came across this video and thought it worth posting here.

[video=youtube;9yTyvlzdZ_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpag e&v=9yTyvlzdZ_I[/video]

I used a similar method last week to lift a large green oak brace into position using a couple of climbing carabiners, so it's not a new idea, just one not everyone might think of.

Rob.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice to see its not just me that gets the tail end of the rope stuck every five minutes! ;)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Very dangerous. Early in my career, an engineer on a building site used this method to lift a big steel pipe. The friction as the rope passed through the loop simply wore through the loop and the whole lot came down in a hurry. Using a karabina to act as a pulley helps.

Z

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very dangerous. Early in my career, an engineer on a building site used this method to lift a big steel pipe. The friction as the rope passed through the loop simply wore through the loop and the whole lot came down in a hurry. Using a karabina to act as a pulley helps.

Z

Good point Zingmo, the problem with emergency solutions is that often the techniques are not what one may prefer to use. If you were to utilise your climbing rope for this sort of task I doubt
you would want to trust your life to the rope again, the wear on it would be huge.

Rob.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
of course if you have a knife with you, you could knock up a pulley wheel to put over the rope to reduce the friction of the rope (i you don't have a couple of krabs that is)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln

Z

well you wouldn't be using it if you were a tree surgeon thats for sure but the chap in the video did say its an emergency scenario, fine as a one shot thing (but chuck the rope after). when I worked as a climbing instructor we had rope slings set up as top rope anchors that would usually have had 2 screwgate krabs opposed for the rope to pass through, 2 of my mates decided to have a climbing session one day and just threaded the rope through the sling by the time they were finished the sling had all but worn through they were lucky not to hurt themselves

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
If I remember correctly, crush injuries get worse as time rolls on. The sooner the extraction the more chance of survival or lesser long term disability.
The scenario is of an immediate solution to a problem, not hoiking a blooming great tree up to the heavens to build a tree top mansion! Just raise it a few feet to extricate an injured party.
Which is quicker... a) saw through the tree in two places...b) dig the person out... c) sacrifice a bit of rope that the grateful survivor may offer to replace as a thankyou.
Hopefully no-one will find themselves in the scenario but if you do, is it not worth having an idea of what could be done? A bit like knowing several ways to start a fire.

Rob.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If I remember correctly, crush injuries get worse as time rolls on. The sooner the extraction the more chance of survival or lesser long term disability.
The scenario is of an immediate solution to a problem, not hoiking a blooming great tree up to the heavens to build a tree top mansion! Just raise it a few feet to extricate an injured party.
Which is quicker... a) saw through the tree in two places...b) dig the person out... c) sacrifice a bit of rope that the grateful survivor may offer to replace as a thankyou.
Hopefully no-one will find themselves in the scenario but if you do, is it not worth having an idea of what could be done? A bit like knowing several ways to start a fire.

Rob.

...or you partially raise the tree, which then falls back onto the victim from a height as the rope saws through the rope loop, causing significantly more damage to the injured party...Decent basic technique, but worth bearing in mind safer options to it, if you have a couple of carabiners, or similar, with you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE