Elm trees marked for coming down.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
These two trees are marked for felling as they have Dutch elm disease.
Eleven have been felled in recent years that stood not more than 40 feet away.
I'm hoping to get a couple of pieces if the right crew turn up. I live opposite so just a roll away.

Wood009.jpg

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
2 very large mature Wych Elms have just died in the village. Thought these were resistant or shielded from the spread.
I'm condemning a couple of the 20'+ tall ones each day, its the worst year for the disease since I started working with trees.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You'll be lucky to get a piece - a tree surgeon I was talking to says they get destroyed to prevent further spread of the disease

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
True spandit, but if you give the nice tree fella a few quid he takes the bark off before you take it away.
That is if he is hungry for money, or I could bribe him with one of my axes. :)

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
It's a shame but the scorched earth approch is the only way. I have to either burn the trees on site or take it away in a covered wagon to an air burner to dispose of it, and all tools have to be cleaned too. How long have they been dead for Hugo ? If they have been dead for years then the wood will be safe to use, bit if they have died resently then I would leave the wood as you just spreading the problem.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
The one on the left had very little leaves this year, and showing signs for years. the one on the right has been showing sings for a couple of years.
Council policy to have them down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE