Elderberry and blackberry syrups

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I grabbed a load of elder berries and blackberries from the old orchard at the back of the garden, and a few apples aswell. Apples and blackberries have gone into a crumble for tonight, I decided to make a drinking syrup with the rest of the stuff.

I looked at a cook on the wild side cook book and decided to adapt the recipe to what I had in the kitchen. So, I had a load of elderberries in a pan with some water, boiled then simmered, squashed with the back of a spoon and then sieved and strained to get the seeds and casings and bits of twig that went in out!

HFW says to put a whisked egg white into the syrup whilst boiling and to whisk occasionally and remove the scum that is produced. I think the egg white acts as a floc and gets all the little bits to coagulate and aids removal. I did this with the first one, but I had scrambled eggs for lunch before starting the blackberry version so I'd ran out of eggs!

Once the syrup had boiled and simmered and the scum removed, I loaded a slack handful or two of sugar into the liquid and added a few spoons of honey. Back on the boil and then check for thickness. It is quite thick, thicker than normal juice that you dilute with water.

I had to try it, so I diluted to taste and it was very nice. The honey is just coming through as an after taste, it is really nice. I decanted the remainder into an old stags breath bottle, and made a start on the blackberry version. Exactly the same apart from I didn't have an egg white to coagulate the bits. I poured the liquid through kitchen paper, I wanted to use coffee filters but don't have any and in hind sight I doubt it would have gone through! Very thick stuff.

The blackberry syrup is cooling down now, so I need to create another empty bottle! I reckon I need to find my Stags breath drinking glass to finish the bottle off!

:D

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
That sounds delicious!!

Does it keep like rosehip? I just worry that I will take the lid off one day all the sugar has turned alchohol and i have some noxious brew that would send me blind.

Not as bad as mine. I didn't sterelize the container properly. I had 1.5 litres of rosehip syrup in a gordins gin bottle explode in the cupboard. there were no pieces over 1" left!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dunno how well it will keep. It is stored in the fridge, it should keep for a week supposedly. I didn't make an awful lot though, it was an experiment that will lead onto bigger things later. It can be stored in airtight bottles for a year according to Huge Furry Whittling Tool.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A concentrated fruit syrup, usually intended to be later used as the basis for a linctus or the like, is called a robb. I'm pretty sure Match posted some recipes a while back for these. I can't do a proper search just now, I'm away from home using my laptop on a friends firewire and it's slooooow.
A robb works very well as a fruit juice concentrate for berries and hips, I used them when my sons were young and commerical juices were full of E numbers that one of the boys was incredibly allergic to.
atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE