Eight-legged freak.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What the hell is this spider? Never seen one like this before.
I came home last night and it was in the corner of my living room.
It was an inch long, wasn't that aggressive as I gave it a few pokes before picking it up and chucking it out of the window.

200420121028.jpg

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
Yea I have had two of these in my house in the last couple of weeks (or maybe the same one twice). When I had a closer look I went for a female wolfy..... am prepared to be told different

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
all spiders have spinarettes they all spin silk. females are also generally bigger than the males, often as much as a third. i reckon thats a wolf spider

edit: had a proper look and the dark line down the abdomen looks like a stone spider. my bad

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
all spiders have spinarettes they all spin silk. females are also generally bigger than the males, often as much as a third. i reckon thats a stone spider was it an ich including legs or just the body?

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
It's quite a pale uniform colour which is why I'm veering away from the Wolf and towards the Stone spider, body can be 10-18mm so add the legs...? And Wolf spiders do tend to have the 2 lines on the carapace. I dunno lol I'm guessing the pic has lightened it a wee bit, I'll go with the Stone spider. :)

I'm certainly no arachnologist I just like em, favourite is the Cave spider but prolly cause I've seen so many of em and they have mahussive fangs, haven't been bitten by one yet but no doubt will be during the course of my subterranean adventures. :D

Si

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Good suggestion there from Urban X.....there is a family resemblance with a stone spider.....

Bushwacker's cuddly visitor.
200420121028-1-1.jpg

& a few more pics of a stone spider for comparison..
55011581-1.jpg

Drassodes-lapidosus-3-1.jpg

I think we have it...

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Do we actually have any dangerously poisonous spiders in the UK? I've always thought not but I suppose it would be good to know for sure..

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Nope not native ones at least, a few can bite through human skin, like the Cave spider but unless allergic somehow it wouldn't do any damage,

Si

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE