ECWCS - Extended Cold Weather Clothing System - Gen II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Fizzy
Although I know what you are referring to, your comment "I'd be a bit weary about wearing anything nylon around a camp fire though" made me chuckle.
It's OK for U.S. squaddies to cook in, or be napalmed in, but too risky around the camp fire lol

Many of us probably remember the ban on jungle kit in NI due to the risk of melt injury from petrol bombs (even though oxford nylon waterproofs were OK lol), which conveniently was forgotten when the new poly cotton '90/'95 uniforms came in lol. Me thinks the ban was more to do with the fact that the higher ups didn't like seeing us in different cammo's :)

But the cover on the body armour was nylon wasn't it? or were they issuing CBA when you were in?

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Fizzy
Although I know what you are referring to, your comment "I'd be a bit weary about wearing anything nylon around a camp fire though" made me chuckle.
It's OK for U.S. squaddies to cook in, or be napalmed in, but too risky around the camp fire lol

Many of us probably remember the ban on jungle kit in NI due to the risk of melt injury from petrol bombs (even though oxford nylon waterproofs were OK lol), which conveniently was forgotten when the new poly cotton '90/'95 uniforms came in lol. Me thinks the ban was more to do with the fact that the higher ups didn't like seeing us in different cammo's :)

We could only wear Lightweights in Derry , less "aggresive" to civilians LOL as if the SLR were any less intimidating being lugged round by blokes in green pants PMSL

MelonFish , my first set of armour had a cotton duck cover and was dated 1959 USMC LOL

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
blimey you had some of the direct bought yank stuff :D
i reckon the SLR's would have been tame considering you lot would have just hopped out an armoured snatch or a humber pig :D
but i digress, as far as nylon goes how many of us have melted fleeces?

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Melonfish

I was just amused at the logic of the SOP's of the time. Junglies, NOOOOOOOOOO......Nylon waterproofs (and body armour covers too) Go ahead, lol. It's a funny old world :)

Out of interest, have you seen any pics of the lad that got shot in the side by a 7.62 short round the other day, while wearing new improved osprey armour? The impact threw him off his feet, but all he has is a pretty tiny bruise. This must be some pretty good stuff, and covers a lot more of the torso than anything you or I would have had.

If not, here is a link to some pics: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...t-Osprey-body-armour-saves-soldiers-life.html

Sorry for thread drift.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looking for a warm and waterproof woodland smock at the mo and have been thinking about the ECWCS - Extended Cold Weather Clothing System - Gen II style...

Just wondered if anyone's used this type of system/clothing before, looks like US army issue and quite tidy for the price.

Regards, TBL.

Thoroughly recommend the Goretex Trousers. [Get the gen 2/3 ones, which have the belt loops, and side pockets.]

Very tough and hardwearing. Sizing is a little funny though.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Melonfish

I was just amused at the logic of the SOP's of the time. Junglies, NOOOOOOOOOO......Nylon waterproofs (and body armour covers too) Go ahead, lol. It's a funny old world :)

Out of interest, have you seen any pics of the lad that got shot in the side by a 7.62 short round the other day, while wearing new improved osprey armour? The impact threw him off his feet, but all he has is a pretty tiny bruise. This must be some pretty good stuff, and covers a lot more of the torso than anything you or I would have had.

If not, here is a link to some pics: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...t-Osprey-body-armour-saves-soldiers-life.html

Sorry for thread drift.

Don't worry threads drift tokyo style on this forum :D
That chap was wearing the newer Osprey armour, they've done what the USMC did with their armour and added extra side plates. far better protection all round and in the new snazzy MTP (multicam)
wish they'd been issuing it earlier mind, there's a fair few soldiers fell to rounds through the side, one of which the local town here is running some events to support,
http://www.moon13.co.uk/warringtoncaresfortom/
He's a kingo (2 duke of lancs) and a friend has written a song for him to try and raise money, i think we're all doing a charity busk around the local town in a couple of weeks actually.
logic + army just doesn't match up tbh...

@Dave got any links for the goretex trousers? i've been after a set of plain OD goretex for ages all i can find is some really short german stuff! :D

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
as far as nylon goes how many of us have melted fleeces?
I wasn't referring to it melting, but hot embers/sparks from a camp fire are going to burn through nylon easily. Not the end of the world if it's your fleece (which has happened to me) but not ideal when there's a hole in your waterproof jacket and it's raining hard :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE